thirteen

Diana's POV:

James and I continued walking for quite a while after, discussing Daniel and we even managed to get round to debating about champagne, don't ask questions. We laughed with each other and never ran out of things to say, that's why these last moments that i had with him, i needed to treasure.

I glanced over at James's pocket watch what came off the top of his waistcoat, and saw that i needed to wait for Daniel now. "Goodness, the time!" I exclaimed reaching for it. "Do you need to be somewhere?" He said, confused. "Yes, yes i'm meant to promenade wth Mr Fitzwilliam." I replied looking around to check if he was anywhere in sight. James let out a quiet sigh at my response, maybe because he'd hoped for something different.

I turned around to face him and looked into his slightly sunken eyes. "This was wonderful your grace." I said, before quickly turning to leave. As i walked away, it felt like his eyes didn't once leave me until i was fully gone, and i could feel his disappointment somewhere within me because i meant what I said. Spending time with him truly was wonderful.

I'd rushed arounf for a bit before seeing him waiting for me by the big fountain, i slowed down and caught my breath a bit before walking over and joining him. I pretended that i'd just spotted him casually instead of rushing around for the past five minutes trying to find him.

"Mr Fitzwilliam, i wondered where i might find you." I beamed at him. "ahh well, i suppose you've found me now." he replied. It was already very awkward as we were standing there in silence for a moment trying to figure out what to say. He held out his arm and i took it trying to smile more. "Wonderful day is it not, Miss Haywood?" He asked looking up at the sky. "Yes i completely agree, my brother and I were admiring it this morning aswell." i replied. "I must say Miss Haywood, you look rather handsome today." He admired with a smile on his face."Thank you, i must return the compliment." I added trying to think of something else to say. "I'm sure you'd look even more ravishing at the ball being hosted tonight by my parents, everyone's coming. i'd love it if you were on my arm and honoured me to the first two dances." He grinned.

Of course i wanted to, but i also didn't want to. This whole thing just felt so forced, i suppose i should give it some more time though.

"What a generous offer Daniel, i'd be happy to be on your arm tonight-" I was interrupted by him shouting. "Mr Penbrooke!" He waved his hand in the air slightly to get his attention and before i knew it James had joined us. "Mr Fitzwilliam, good to see you. Miss Haywood, of course looking wonderful." he greeted. "What brings you here today without a woman such as Miss Haywood on your arm." Daniel asked him and i was dying from embarrassment at this point. The truth is James did have me on his arm, but if he told daniel we'd be ruined.

"i did have a woman on my arm not too long ago actually." he replied looking at me. i could feel the palms of my hand gathering sweat. "well, come on old chap, was she as wonderful as Miss Haywood." Daniel asked being oblivious yet again.

James looked deeper into my eyes and lowered his voice so it seemed he was only talking to me. "yes, yes you could say that." he said before fluttering his eyes a bit and looking away again. "well in any case you must come to our ball this evening aswell, Diana and i were just discussing how she would be on my arm." Daniel told him with a smile on his face. It felt like he was just feeding James pain, as he looked a little bit more sad at every mention of my name in any correspondence with his. I realised that i had to intervene.

"i'm sure Mr Penbrooke will be there, but Daniel we must keep walking. It was nice to see you your grace, enjoy the rest of your afternoon" I lightly pulled Daniel past him and carried on walking not once looking back. I did it because i felt extremely guilty, of course i didn't know if his feelings were mutual or not, but if they were, i wouldn't want someone telling me that they were going to be on James's arm for the evening. I could have been over thinking the whole situation, but then again, it's always good to be mindful. Jesus Christ i am so sappy it's painful.