eight

When we got out of the carriage, i knew that James wanted me to walk in on his arm to make us even more noticeable. Even though i thought it was a bit over the top i still went along with it, so when my family went inside, i waited outside.

It was probably bad for a lady to be waiting outside for a man, but nobody really seemed to care so i carried on waiting.

and waiting

...and waiting

Until eventually i gave up and decided to go inside on my own, but before i could enter the house i heard laughter coming from the side of it. Knowing me, not thinking and just doing, i followed the noise and went round the corner. I'm glad i did though because it turned out to be James and...

...ahhh - this must be the woman im 'covering' for.

They both immediately stopped and turned to face in my direction, and it felt like i could see the relief that left their bodies when they realised that it was me.

"You must be Diana Haywood! Lovely to meet you, i'm Letitia. I'd just like to say thank you for doing this, we both really appreciate it." she said extending her hand to me, standing in James's arms. I'm not going to lie to you, i felt like a bit of a charity case but i didn't tell her that of course. "Yes, yes i am and you're welcome. Though i do have my reasons for doing it so i should be thanking James aswell really." I replies shaking her hand gently. My anger filled eyes met James and it seemed just by looking at me he's remembered the time.

"Diana, my most sincerest apologies i hadn't realised the time and-" he sighed letting go of Letitia and walking over to me. "All is forgiven James, after all, we are doing this so you and Letitia can be together. Its my fault, i shouldn't have waited outside for thirty minutes" I started that sentence with a smile on my face, but towards the end when i looked James in the eye trying to find some form of guilt, it faded away during the last few words.

James tried to say something else but before any words came out of his mouth i interrupted him. "How about we go in now though, you're lucky it was me who caught you rather than anyone else." i told them.

Letitia left and i tried to follow but James put his hand around my waist and pulled me towards him backwards to try and stop me. I took a sharp breath and butterflies flew around in my stomach as i felt his breath in my ear when he whispered "Letitia always goes first, we follow. If anyone had seen you just then, let alone with me, our attachment would be ruined and so would our families reputations. Remember that." he let me go slowly almost as if he didnt want to.

A few minutes later i held onto his arm and we walked into the ballroom. All eyes were diverted to meet ours and i took advantage of it by laughing into his shoulder as if he'd made a joke so it would seem i was engaged with only James and didn't want to dance with anyone else.

He tried to very obviously sign my dance card with i found quite amusing, so i couldnt help but let out a small laugh. He laughed in reply but turned stone - faced again when he lifted his head back up again.

He extened his hand and i took it as he led me to the dance floor. We stood opposite each other and bowed of course before we taking a step closer. He softly moved his hand around my waist and i positioned my arm over his should and my palm lay on his shoulder blade. He guided me around the floor. His leading was strong but not forceful, so it felt like we were floating around the ring. Not once did his eyes tear away from mine, nor mine his.