Friday night

From what I've learned, arguing with Marshall appeared to be a rather thrilling thing. Even thinking about it, I was a little nervous but also, somehow unexplainably excited. It was no usual fight, it never felt like one. Perhaps, something was in the way we felt each other in that little game of pride between us. I didn't like to be dictated the rules, and he was too competitive to care. With such an unlucky combination something could've gone utterly wrong sooner or later. But what could I do about it?

Frankly speaking, I should've stayed away from thinking about the moment we shared in Marshall's office but I couldn't. I was a bit angry for his behavior but somewhere deep inside was waiting for the continuation. When he said "for now", I knew I wouldn't have been able to forget it. So I was waiting for the Friday night impatiently and wishing for it not to come at all at the same time. Having mixed feelings was nothing new when it came to him.

The next day after the argument, I and Marshall didn't communicate. Royce and Denaun were zealously trying to persuade me to go to Marshall's gathering. But when I passed him by in the corridor as we shared a dry "Good morning", catching some challenging spark in his glance, I knew I couldn't obey. Even if I had an option like that, it was too hurtful stab for my pride, and he was the one acting unfairly bossy towards me. If I had to piss him off for real, then let it be it. To all the insistent offers of my dorks, I said "no".

Josh arranged a dinner for us just like he promised. It was at the Italian place not that far from my neighborhood which reminded me of the time Marshall, Paul, and I had had lunch there after the TV show live. And yes, I was that fucked up to think about it on the date with Josh. And yes, I felt a wave of annoyance washing over me at the images of Marshall and Roxy flirting that day. But as expected, the dinner went well. The food was enjoyable and Josh was attentive, funny and all the things attached to it. At some moment, I even succeeded in getting distracted and that was refreshing. At least, for one evening. The lack of any impressive effect on me after it was a whole another topic.

Friday came quickly. Marshall didn't attend studio that day, having some relative thing to clear up. So Paul was very kind, even too kind I would say, to ask him to pick me up in the evening before the battling event so we could've gone there together. I could only imagine how much "fun" the ride after the argument would've been and was silently hoping for the better. But, to tell the truth, I had a bad feeling about it.

So, that Friday night I was going downstairs from my apartment with a nervous feeling in my chest and a carefully picked outfit which consisted of some nice tight dress and stockings, in a similar fashion to Chad's birthday party, finishing it with middle-height heels. The battling event was nothing to dress up for but Paul said that I needed to look good since it was supposed to be in some elite club. Apparently, I needed to make an effort without overdoing it. After all, Marshall and I were in an argument. Which still was no obstacle for me to desire his attention, was it?

Exiting the building, I was met by a warm May evening, looked at the time and saw that it was a bit early. It was already dark outside but the night was far from starting so I decided to wait a little and fix my lipstick just in case it wasn't perfect enough. My phone buzzed, getting a text from Jeff so I was glad to answer.

And what was my surprise, when raising my glance from the phone I was holding, I saw some figure on the road making its way to me with a greeting warm smile and some package in hands. Even from afar, I could already guess that the figure was way too familiar for being a random stranger. So unluckily familiar that I felt myself letting out a small gasp. Alright, yes, goddamn. It was nobody else but Josh.

'Hey, Ella!'

Oh no, I thought. Literally the worst timing.