The outcome

But no more worries, rest your head and go to sleep,
Maybe one day we'll wake up and this'll all just be a dream

I think that there are only two ways to wake up from an unforgettable night with someone you'd desired for way too long. One, it could be the world's biggest happiness. Two, it could be a nightmare in reality. And I highly doubt there was something in between. Certainly, not with Marshall.

I found it hard to process everything that happened with me and him on that absolutely insane night. First, it was Josh, the creepy guy Prince at the club, and then that talk in the kitchen of my apartment. Marshall really said he lost his mind because of me and how could I do anything to resist it? We wanted each other. For those couple of weeks we spent together working on the project for "Wave", it'd been hanging in the air between the two of us probably since the teasing on the basketball playground. And I promised not to succumb for as long as it was possible but that night was the edge of the roof. I jumped with no regret and naturally, had to face the consequences in the morning.

The last thing I remembered was dozing off to sleep in Marshall's arms somewhere in the soft sheets of my bed. It'd been a while since I'd let someone to my place since my break up with Jake, and it must have felt a bit weird to do that again but I never noticed it. Something was in the way Marshall treated me that night, something was in the way of feeling him to the full that made everything happen for us. And I hoped for it to be anything but fleeting, even though I had good reasons to doubt that.

I opened my eyes from the bright ray of the sun looking into my window, unmercifully blinding my sight. I would've thought it was a warning for being late to work but somehow managed to recall that it was Saturday on the calendar. So, I closed my eyes again lazily, trying to go back to sleep. Or more accurately, diligently trying to. And if not one very striking thought crossing my mind that moment, I would've surely succeeded in my attempts to finish watching my dreams.

But I woke up alone in my white fluffy sheets that morning.

Damn. It should've been something close to panic. At first, I felt something very heavy instantly forming in my chest and when I opened my eyelids, the empty picture of the room proved it more. The crumpled sheets on the other side of the bed and a lonely white pillow beside my own one didn't fail to give an upsetting impression. Sitting up slowly and putting the blanket closer to my naked body, I figured it seemed like I became a hero of the cliche "I've told you so" situation.

9:07 am on the clock. What a way to wake up, huh?

I looked around for any sign of Marshall around the room. Everything seemed just the way I'd left it before going to the battle event: the CD player, the clothes, the phone, the notes laying here and there. The only things ruining that habitual atmosphere were my dress and stockings laying lonely somewhere on the floor, and I sighed heavily, letting my fingers travel through my lightly curled hair mindlessly. Maybe, it wasn't the time to make the big and final conclusions. But where was he?

Finding no answer, I let my body plop down on the mattress tiredly again. All the options for Marshall's absence were starting to form in my head to prevent myself from any kind of disappointment and decide what to do next. He could've had some urgent thing to do, he could've had some important place to be, he could've postponed the conversation about what happened for later. Something inside of me, though, was telling me that usually in situations like that everything is a lot easier.

Marshall escaped in order to make it a good old one-night stand, didn't he?

Before I could've continued my reasonings any further, I heard the sound of the phone ringing on my bedside table. My first instinct was to get it as soon as possible in a desperate hope to see Marshall's name on the screen. It could've explained everything and calm down my way too bright imagination.