A date

And I am whatever you say I am, If I wasn't then why would I say I am? In the paper, the news, every day I am, radio won't even play my jam.

'Cause I am whatever you say I am...

'I can't believe the fact that you spent the night at his house, saw him shirtless and nothing ever happened between two of you. You're lying to me, girl!' Diana's serious expression snapped me out of thoughts with a sound of her older sister-like voice that the whole cafe we were sitting in undoubtedly heard. I saw a couple of heads turning into our direction with way too interested looks on their faces. I bet that they would judge me, knowing that I didn't listen carefully to the things my friend was passionately telling me. In fact, they would be very disappointed finding out that I was replaying in my head lyrics from "Marshall Mathers LP" instead of it. But well, they didn't know it.

They also didn't know that the reason we met up was that I missed at least a couple of hundreds of calls from Diana when I forgot my phone in Royce's car. She told me she was worried sick about me so when I got it back, there was no way I could avoid meeting face to face with her the next morning.

I really didn't mind it. Diana was my best friend and even though she had a "specific nature", as Trevor from the publishing used to say, I appreciated her for always being there for me and caring that much to meet me early in the morning for a coffee before work. The only thing was that the previous night I spent a lot of time listening to "Marshall Mathers LP" and obviously, thinking about the night at Marshall's house which didn't help my concentration at all. And if I'd been brave enough, I would have told Diana that I didn't like the path that my thoughts picked. Mostly because even though I had to be only interested in Eminem's music, it happened to be that I was starting to get interested in him. In the most dangerous way possible.

'That's a simple truth' I answered finally, dismissing all my previous thoughts only to come back to them later as the heads of the people in the cafe returned to their conversations and stopped paying attention to us. I made a sip of my iced coffee and grimaced at the sudden too sweet taste in it. Damn, that was not what I needed for the morning.

'I'm disappointed, I have to be honest. When you said on the phone that you spent the night at Eminem's house, I was ready to listen to all the spicy details to it. Why do you have to do me like that?' Diana made a fake resentful look at me, and I couldn't help but chuckle. She was cheering for any kind of interaction between me and Marshall which was absurd as hell but I had no power to prevent her from doing it.

'I've told you millions of times that it's my work. Thinking about things like that is an unnecessary distraction'.

'Don't go all boring Ella on me' she snorted, rolling her eyes. 'I'd rather you told me if he seemed at least interested. I won't believe that he wasn't after the "Right, baby?" situation' Diana licked her cherry-coloured lips in a grin.

'I don't think he was' I said a little nervously. For some reason, I'd been thinking about the same question earlier and that just wasn't a good sign. 'I mean, why would he? All those jokes are just a part of his personality. The moments that may seem weird between us are probably just the way he behaves usually' I told Diana, trying to hide a bitter taste on my tongue with the thoughts I was saying out loud. I just knew that there was no fucking way that Marshall would be "interested". We were not even friendly with each other, taking breaks for some banters or awkward interactions.

'I guess, we'll have to see how things go. Don't rush to the conclusions' Diana's tone had a note of humour in it as if she was teasing me, but the look of her light brown eyes was soft on me to the point of care.

'It doesn't matter, though' I waved my hand as if trying to dispel the topic with a simple gesture. 'I have a date today'.

'You have what?' Diana looked at me wide-eyed, completely forgetting about the cold brew she was drinking just a second ago. I smiled a little, thinking how good it is sometimes to act unpredictably in front of people who's known you for a long time. But well, that was where I had to explain something.