Stating the rules

I didn't really sleep at night. And I couldn't find any real reason for that. My bed was comfortable as usual, the window was opened and the room was melting in soft spring darkness. I guess I could only blame for it the fact that the next morning I had to go to work together with Marshall Mathers.

I was trying to stir my morning tea in a habitual, normal way but somehow it appeared to be a rather difficult mission. I was somewhere else looking at the spirals my spoon was creating in a cup and refusing to look at the clock. Which I knew for sure already showed 8:20.

I took the cup finally and drank all the tea at once suddenly remembering the fact that I forgot to eat something. Well, I guess, I had no time for that.

I stopped to look in the mirror before going out of my apartment and found myself not in the best state. Everything seemed usual but not as I wanted it to be. All of a sudden I wished I was more attractive and it was strange because I rarely let myself to think that way. But instead of changing something I just fixed my shoulder-length hair in lazy waves and disapprovingly glanced at my black 90's jeans and some white top. Oh, I wasn't ready at all.

The minute I went out the building my eye caught a huge black Cadillac Escalade parked right in front of the entrance probably having no permission to be there. However, the street was almost empty at that time and nobody except me was there to witness that. Catching a familiar profile of the main character of my scary movie in the window of the driver's seat I sighed and came closer.

Marshall spotted me almost immediately and I could already see his serious expression as he reached from his seat to open the door for me. Alright, here we go.

'Good morning' I mumbled sitting in the car trying not to look in his direction even though I had an urge to do so. I didn't expect a warm welcome so I was ready for anything. Marshall, on the other hand, gave me a brief malcontent look.

'I wouldn't call it that' he answered being clearly not in a mood and starting the engine. Both of us concentrated our eyes on the road and the tension appeared in the air. Damn.

'You are a rude guy, aren't you?' I asked out of nowhere getting ready to be murdered by his answer. I shouldn't have probably developed the conversation but I just couldn't shut up for some reason. I didn't want to mention the fact that we were closer that time and I could barely catch a smell of his cologne but I did.

'You bet I am' Marshall told me simply and I let myself a look at his hands on the steering wheel. His pose was confident and relaxed despite the obvious tension. 'Is that what your psychological analysis told you about?' oh, the sarcasm. I wouldn't lie if I said that I didn't miss that.

'There was no need. Your greeting was absolutely enough' I growled out unintentionally and Marshall's head immediately turned in my direction. Before his glance returned to the road I met his frown and a pair of blue light eyes.

'Next time eat your attitude for breakfast' he said annoyed with my answer. Well, guess, I wasn't the one to keep silent. 'Paul wants me to pick you up every day so we'd better discuss some rules' what? Every day?

'Rules? That's hilarious'.

'Look' he looked at me longer this time and I heard a persistence in his tone. 'I don't like any of this. All of it ruins my habitual schedule and it's very important for me. I'm doing it only because Paul asks me to and that stupid deal with your magazine'.

'As if I didn't understand your point yesterday' I answered quietly glueing my eyes on the road and putting my hands on my knees to play with fingers. The conversation was becoming more and more difficult to handle and I needed some distraction.