Chapter 15: You Underestimate My Power

Hazel's POV:

          Frank leads us to an old shopping plaza near the wharf; where an old railway car is now a diner. As we're walking I can't help but keep thinking about our new member. Mr. Stark seems like a good person and Percy seems to trust him. But his words keep echoing in my head.

"Listen, kid, I know not only one, but three people (not including you) that are from the '40s. So this isn't the first time I've met a time-traveler."

          Does this mean that there are more people like me? More people out of time? Does he know Nico? It's almost too good to be true. This means Nico and I aren't alone anymore!

          I'm so wrapped up in my thoughts that I don't notice that I'm walking straight towards a lamppost. But luckily, Frank stops me just in time. I quickly thank him and then I return to my train of thought.

          We arrive at the diner and while the others order our food, I go to the dock and ask some questions about the boat we are planning to use. The people there were kind, but their answers only soured my mood. I return to the diner with a frown where the three boys are waiting for me with delicious-smelling cheeseburgers and fries.

        "We're in trouble," I say as I sit down, "I tried to get a boat. But... I miscalculated."

          "No boats?" Mr. Stark asks.

          "Oh, I can get a boat," I reply, "But the glacier is farther than I thought. Even at top speed, we couldn't get there until tomorrow morning."

          "Maybe I could make the boat go faster?" Percy offers.

          "Even if you could," I say, "from what the captains tell me it's treacherous—icebergs, maxes of channels to navigate. You'd have to know where you're going."

          "A plane?" Frank offers.

          I shake my head. "I asked the boat captain about that. That said we could try, but it's a tiny airfield. You have to charter a plane two, three weeks in advance."

          "I can take you there," Mr. Stark says after a moment of silence.

          "Really? How?" I eagerly ask.

          "Y'all can hitch a ride on my suit," he replies.

          "Suit?" I ask.

          "Yeah! His Iron Man suit!" Percy exclaims.

          "Your what?" I ask.

          "Ok Hazel, long-story-short. This guy is a superhero and his superhero name is Iron Man and he's part of a team called the Avengers. He made a suit that looks like full-body armor made out of metal, but people thought it was iron hence the name Iron Man," Percy says.

         "You'll have to explain more later but that's enough for now," I say.

          "Yeah, 'cause it's one heck of a story," Mr. Stark says with a chuckle.

          The rest of lunch went smoothly. The burgers and fries were amazhang. Haha, see what I did there? Amazhang?

          ...

          Ok, I'll stop now.

          So anyway, as we're eating I notice a raven, which makes me uneasy. It looks just like the one I saw on the night I died. Does this mean that I'm going to die again? I really hope it doesn't.