Chapter 26: The Fall of the Revengers

Tony's POV

It was a few years ago, Percy was still missing. We had been trying to locate Bruce for a while now, and Thor hadn't returned from his quest to find more about the stone in Vision's forehead. And as far as we were concerned, Loki had died a war hero, protecting Asgard from the Dark Elves. Basically, it was an uneventful day with a completely opposite night.

Yet, it had been a long day for me. I had been searching tirelessly for my nephew but I hadn't gotten a single sign from him. Almost as if he disappeared off the face of the earth. I decided to let off some steam and tinker in my lab. Peter was with me for a while but he had to go home. So I decided to stay a while longer and leave the rest for the next day.

"Hey, Tony," Pepper whispered, kissing me on the cheek. "When are you planning on coming to bed?"

I paused, before setting one of my tools down, and I took her hand in mine. "In a minute, Pep. I'm almost done."

She pouted. "That's what you said two hours ago."

"C'mon, you're exaggerating, it was ten when I told you and now it's.." I turned to see the time. "It's.. it's midnight."

"Exactly," she said as she took the tool out of my hand and set it down. "Now, can you please come to bed now?"

I grumbled slightly before sighing and giving in to her request. She smiled and intertwined our fingers as she led me out of my little sanctuary. It wasn't until I climbed in bed that I realized how tired I really was.

As soon as my head hit the pillow my eyelids started to droop, my brain started to shut down, but not before I could say, "Goodnight, honey."

"Boss, what appears to be debris of an unidentified craft entered the atmosphere and crashed in the mountains," FRIDAY alerted me, waking me from my slumber. I looked at the clock, it read 3:35 am.

I groaned and rolled off the bed. I fell on the floor face-first, accidentally dragging the blanket down with me. Pepper grumbled in her sleep and rolled over. I tossed the blanket back on the bed and I rolled over on my back. "Alert the team, tell them to wait in the Quinjet."

"Way ahead of you boss, they're all waiting for you now in fact," she replied.

I chuckled as I got up from the floor. "Of course they are."

I suited up and got to the Quinjet before you could even snap. "OK, I'm here. Let's get this over with."

The sleep-deprived team mumbled in agreement and handed me a cup of coffee. I gladly accepted it as Clint started to fly to the coordinates provided. We landed about a mile from the crash site, a campsite's parking lot, and started to make our way there on foot. Well I just let FRIDAY pilot my suit so I could get some shut eye while the team hiked through the wilderness.

Once we approached the crash site we all hid behind some brush and inspected the site. To say it was a big crater was an understatement, it was over a hundred mansion-sized craters peppering the landscape. In the center of each one were smoking, red-hot chunks of alien metal the size of buses. The moonlight gave each of them a haunting appearance. It was enough to wake us all up.

"My God..." whispered Sam.

"What is this thing?" Clint added.

"Do you think it could be your dad or his Olympus buddies playing a prank on us, Mr. Stark?" Peter nervously asked me. We had called him for this mission, we needed the manpower.

"No..." I mumbled. "This isn't Greek, or like anything I've ever seen before... Wait, actually..."

Suddenly we heard movement from the wreckage, and we quickly ducked behind the brush again. We didn't dare leave our hiding spot as he heard faint shuffling noises as... whoever was on that thing started to regain consciousness. We started to hear groaning and whimpering, lots and lots of groaning and whimpering. Looked like this guy wasn't alone, we could hear a few other creatures too.