Mavericks - Yuki x Reader (Fluff/Angst)

"We are mavericks... assistance is unneeded~" I closed my eyes as the cold night air blew against my thin jacket and I almost shivered.

"...are you seriously singing a theme song for your escape?" a certain sarcastic voice asked from beside me.

I turned my head to glare at him lightly, "Yes, I am. Are you seriously judging me, Yukki?"

He sighed and wrapped his self-made scarf tighter around his neck, so tight that I wondered how it didn't choke him.

"Maverick, an unorthodox or independent-minded person...I guess we are," he whispered after a while.

"Wow, didn't know you were an English dictionary! And here I thought the only thing you thought about were clothes," I quipped, although my tone betrayed no malice.

"Shut up. Or I won't recommend you to the director," he muttered grumpily, but the softness of his gaze as our eyes met was enough for me to know he didn't mean any of it.

"I already made some demos for the winter troupe's performance, though~"

"Nobody likes annoying composers," he glanced up at the sky as we neared the theatre.

"Nobody likes annoying fashion designers, either~" I flashed him a close-eyed smile as we arrived in front of the building.

As we headed to the dorms in the back a thought suddenly popped up and I fidgeted with my bag, "Izumi-san won't...insist to call my parents first, right?"

"...Muku and I explained the situation this morning," he exhaled, and a puff of white accompanied it.

As though summoned by the mention of his name, the pink-haired boy opened the door to the dorms and greeted us with a bright smile.

"Was the commute okay?" he asked, and I realized how much the two had been trying to normalize our interactions today.

"I guess. The subway didn't break down or anything," Yuki muttered, for once complying to small talk.

Honestly, what did I expect? For them to ask me how I snuck out of my house with three fully packed bags in tow? Whether my parents noticed me or would care enough to actually get angry that I was running away? What was I thinking, they were never such dense and thoughtless types. Still, this is too much...it's kinda cute...

I pressed my other hand onto my mouth in an attempt to stiffle a giggle, but they still heard it and looked at me inquisitively. I shook my head and merely patted their heads in response, to which Muku smiled nervously and Yuki blushed, faint enough that he could have used the cold of winter as an excuse if I teased him for it.

As we entered the living room, a few sets of eyes turned to look in our direction. I recognized most of them, being well acquainted with the Summer Troupe and having met most of the actors in other troupes as well. Kazunari was immersed in sketching something and didn't notice us until Misumi bounced up to us with a rather loud greeting, "Our baby triangles are back~ Welcome home~!"

For a brief moment, Kazunari's eyes seemed to linger on my bags, but then he bounced up as well and slung an arm around Yuki and I, laughing.

"Frooch is gonna be fuming that you two were out so late~"

Tsuzuru walked in with a yawn and smiled at the scene, instantly understanding the situation, "The director left some curry in a pot in the dining room. Should be enough for the two of you. Just make sure not to be too loud, the other students and the winter troupe are out cold from school and practice."

The two of us nodded and went to the dining room, Muku following behind us. We passed Itaru on the way there and he raised an eyebrow in question before seeing my bags and realizing what was going on.