strangers

prompt: two strangers meet at a restaurant.
category: light fluff

schlatt couldn't stop picking at his fingers, or just meddling with them.

and when he wasn't doing that, he was taking desperate and large gulps of the lukewarm water the waiter had brought him.
his friend had set him up on this stupid blind date. and now the date was a fucking hour late.

he sat on his phone, tapping away to said friend.

mindless messages included "what the fuck" "shes not showing" and all he got as a reply was "well idk" "guess she was kind of sketchy"
all that did was set his mood off even more. great. the one time he goes out of his way he gets rejected. once again.
he had finally decided he was lonely enough, and wanted to put himself out there. last time he did that it crashed and burned. so why does he keep trying?

schlatt was just about to pick up his wallet and keys and just leave when a blur of a man sat down in front of him.
he looked up- astonished from the quick movement.
the man was wearing a beanie, and brown curled hair was emerging from it. he was wearing clear glasses and his mouth was poised, like he was ready to speak.
a spark of interest flickered in schlatts mind.

"okay, so listen." the man spoke. his voice was deep and coated with a british accent.

"what, who are yo-" schlatt began to question him.

"it seems your alone. and i'm alone." the man pressed his palms against the table. "did you get ditched as well?"

schlatt almost reluctantly answered. "yup." he helplessly chucked. "by a dumb blind date."

the man laughed as well. "ah. wish i could say the same." he sighed, before continuing. "my girlfriend has been dodging me so i thought we could have a nice night."
the man shrugged. "i've been sat for two hours."

schlatt sucked his spit in. (making a 😬 face) "ouch!" he chuckled.

silence overtook them when schlatt spoke again. "my names jonathan. jonathan schlatt, but just call me schlatt."

the man smiled and held out his hand. "will. will gold, but just call me wilbur."

schlatt shook it. "okay, will-bur" schlatt sounded out his name, half making fun of it. wilbur laughed in response.

the waitress came over.
"i see your date has arrived!" she smiled. the two were about to defend themselves, say 'oh no we're not dating' or something to that extent. but the waitress kept talking.

"what can i get you both?"

they looked at each other. wilbur shrugged. so did schlatt. so the two ordered food.

when the lady had left, they both started cracking up. "i guess we can be each others replacement date."

schlatt nodded, a smile with his teeth cemented onto his face. he hadn't smiled like this in forever.
"tell me about yourself, will-bur." schlatt wasn't giving the name teasing a rest.

he sighed, stifling a laugh. "well, i'm from london. i write music, and am a pretty popular twitch streamer."

"twitch streamer, you say? i would say i'm retired." schlatt added.