didnt turn back

category: angst

prompt: he didn't turn back.

up the escalator.

he didnt turn back, didnt deliver a smile or a wave.
just as i told him to.
just as i hoped he would(nt).

i hoped he would disobey, as he usually does, and run back and say im sorry, i love you, i'll never leave. lets go home, get some food, watch some shows and fall asleep to the sound of rushing cars.

he didn't turn back. it seemed as it didn't even cross his mind to turn back as he kept going, hand on his suitcase handle.

i shouldn't be this sad. why am i so sad to see him go?

over a loudspeaker a woman's voice called, announcing the departure of his plane in the next 10 minutes. i could see his quickened pace once he heard the announcement,
as he eventually walked out of my sight.

i walked back to the parking garage, watching loners and lovers pass me. a few gave a sparing glance towards me— as any passer would once seeing a man cry.
wait, i was crying?
i basically scratched my eyes to get the tears to go away and stop— desperate to be okay for this short while.

it never gets easier in these quick moments. he walks away, when he should be walking away with me.
and now all i must do it memorize the long moments as they had happened— the gentle breeze and how it made his eyes flicker on that saturday night.
the spot he sat on the couch as we huddled together to watch some comedic show.

now i must sit on that couch.
experience that wind.

alone.

goodbye
read 3:43 pm

an:
hello!
i wanted to make this a quick angsty one— kind of a filler chapter because i'm getting ready to write a longer AU chapter, and that might take a bit.
(you guys thought the AU idea was good so i'll pursue it :) please do give me suggestions on what AU...? if you would like of course,, i just don't want to displease anyone with a lackluster category)

my idea for this story was to keep their identities unknown— in a sense where you don't know whether it's wilbur or schlatt narrating, or wilbur or schlatt leaving. i wanted that to be up to your guys' imaginations :)

anyways, have a good night/day and remember to hydrate. 💕

-i