As Long as My Heart is Within

!! Spoiler Warning !!
v 1.3 All that Glitters
Traveler Lore?? maybe??

As Long as My Heart is Within Yours
- Lantern Rite -

...

"Aether, Aether!! Come on, why are you so slow??!" Paimon hurriedly dragged the poor traveler across the street.

The street was full of people, ranging from children to adults, family and friends, officials and pirates. Beautiful paper lanterns were hung on strings, lighting up the paths of Liyue Harbor. Performances such as Xinyan's rock and roll concert were held in the center of the town. Such events didn't feel like a festival to honor the fallen ones.

Aether did not like it.

He didn't feel happy at all. Even though everyone was having a lot of fun. For him, lantern rite was more of a parting. A goodbye from him to Lumine, his twin sister.

If he were to send off a paper lantern, that would have meant he had accepted her death. That his sister will forever be gone, missing. His dearest sister who isn't there when he wakes up ever since the Unknown God separated them, banishing them to the mortal realm.

Aether didn't realize he was in a trance, until he caught Childe's hand waving in front of his face. He quickly snapped out from his thoughts and greeted the other man.

"Huh? You don't have a lantern with you? That's what this festival is all about! I learnt that from Zhongli xiansheng, by the way," Childe exclaimed, looking proud.

"Wait a minute," The harbinger said to Aether.

Childe quickly ran to a nearby stall, talking to Granny Shan who was attending the store. They talked for a bit, then the man handed her a bag full of mora. He came back with two paper lanterns and a marker.

"Here, what are you going to say to your sister? I'm going to write about how much I miss my siblings, Teucer, Tonia, and Anthon. What about you, Comrade?" He said while scribbling words on the lantern.

"... I don't know," Aether muttered.
He couldn't bring himself to write any.

He misses his sister, he really does.
She and him have never been apart from each other ever since they opened their eyes. The sunrises they watched together, skies they soared together, nights they spent together stargazing. Oh how much he wishes to meet her again. Even if it's only for a fleeting moment, he longs for his other half.

His hair, the one his sister braided for him.
His earring, the one his sister bought to match with her hairpiece.
His scarf, the one his sister wrapped around his neck to keep him warm.

Ever since the day he woke up after 500 years, he has always wanted to believe that everything is just a nightmare.

But it's real, his sister isn't here by his side.

The sunshine he watched felt dull.
The sky he glided felt suffocating.
The night he spent felt empty.

Will he ever meet her again?

Days seemed like a blur.
He saved Mondstadt, yet he gained no freedom.
He did commissions, yet no one helped him when he needed it.
He helped Liyue, yet he was accused as the one who had killed Rex Lapis.

He had done everything he could to search for her.
But she's still missing.
He still wakes up from the same nightmares.
A world without her standing by his side.

It's painful, but he couldn't cry.
It's drowning him, but he couldn't call for help.
It's killing him, but he's still alive.

Again, will he ever find her in the land of the living?

Perhaps, Childe knew how he was feeling then. The older boy gazed at him silently, with eyes full of concern. Then, he leaned over, eye level with Aether, and patted his head.

"Hey, you don't have to push yourself to write it if you don't want to. It's alright," said Childe with a tone as soft as what he'd use to his little siblings.

"Even if she's not here, I believe your sister is with you, by heart,"
Childe ruffles the younger's golden locks.

"Paimon agrees with the bad fatui man!! You will definitely meet her soon, Aether!" Paimon added.

-

"Big brother?"

"I will always be with you! Even if we're separated, you will always be in my heart. And I will always, alwaayyss be in yours!"

"So, don't be scared to go on an adventure, you will get to meet lots and lots of kind people like me!"

-

"Kuh-! Ahahaha.. hehe.." Aether snickered.
How could he have forgotten what Lumine said.

Even if they're not together, she promised she will always be with him.
By his heart, by her heart.
She will always be there for him.

Besides, he has also met people who have shared adventures with him, who warmed his heart, who made him feel like he has a home.

".. Yeah, as long as my heart is within hers," Aether smiled bitterly, "we are still connected."

"Well then, what do you want to write for her?" Childe handed him the marker.

The young traveler took it gratefully, gripping it with care.

Looking up at Childe, he spoke tenderly.

"It's a secret, between me and Lumine."

...

"Glory to Her Highness the Queen of Abyss."

An Abyss Herald dropped on his knee, then lowered down his gaze in front of the Queen.

"Speak," commanded her, with a tone as cold and sharp as ice.

"This humble herald has found a paper lantern at the front gate of the castle. It seems like the wind blew it from Liyue until it reached here," said the messenger.

The girl ignored it as a trivial matter, and continued her business.

"My apologies, but doesn't it feel a little weird, my Queen? How could a piece of lantern fly all over the way from Liyue?"

Shock flashed across her face. It was only for a moment before her expression turned calm again. For once, the golden-haired ruler seemed to look her age. She rose from her grandiose throne then approached the lowly servant, ever as intimidating.

Click, clack, clack.

"Hand it over to me."