Full Moon

!! Spoiler Warning !!
Xiao Lore

— The bard’s flute which accompanied a yaksha's lonely night.

“You're here again, playing the flute. I don't particularly mind, as your music calms me.”

Full Moon
- Xiao and the sound of the Flute  -

Lanterns.
So many and bright.

Xiao doesn't dislike it. He doesn't favor it much, either. It's just a mere tradition, to honor the deceased, to guide them into eternal peace.

But, a part of him does feel sentimental. Perhaps it was due to the parting of his junior, Pervases.

Reminiscence.
He remembered when he opened his eyes for the first time.

Reminiscence.
He remembered when Rex Lapis freed him from being a slave.

Reminiscence.
He remembered the peaceful time spent with his seniors and juniors.

The night is young,
The sky is decorated beautifully,
The lanterns are floating with hopes.

After a long time, he feels quite lonely.
Maybe it really was because of Pervases, or maybe he spent too much time with the traveler in the mortal world.

Shards of karma seeped into his heart.
No matter how hard he resisted, he will never be completely invulnerable.

This is why he doesn't dare to get close to humans. After all, his duty as a Yaksha is to suppress the anger and hatred of defeated archons. If he were to feel human emotions, he would have long succumbed to the darkness. He had to stop being the young, naive evil conqueror, as the future of Liyue Harbor is on him.

He should have refused his invitation.
His invitation to join him in the bustling Liyue Harbor.

It was exciting, to be honest. But the aftereffects were too much for him. He had long forgotten how to enjoy such a peaceful night, making him drop his guard when he let himself indulge in it, even for a little bit.

He is called the Yaksha, the one who banishes all evil from Liyue. But in truth, no evil can be defeated, as it is the remnants of defeated archons which held deep hatred towards the subjects of Rex Lapis.

“Hah, haah.. Urggh-!”

He felt disgusting.
Too much hatred tainted him.
Too much emotion was felt by him.

And the only one he could blame was Rex Lapis.

He blamed Rex Lapis, for making him suffer eternally, for the eons of bloodshed he had to endure. He wanted to punch him in the face, for giving him everything he never asked for.

He wants to be free.
Free from the shackles of the contract he made, free from the burden of having to protect insignificant humans.

Rex lapis left him without any words.
So why couldn't he leave too?

No, he shouldn't be cursing his own savior. Rex Lapis was the one who gave him the name "Xiao" and a new purpose to live. Without Rex Lapis, he would still be slaughtering humans, eating their dreams until there was nothing left inside of them.

He knew his mind wasn't working, it wasn't in the right state. Yet all he could feel was anger and anguish. The pain in both his mind and body was unbearable.

Just one more step, and he would be far enough from the docks. He didn’t want to paint the lanterns red.

The voices continue to rang.
By every second, it grew louder.

The pain was too much,
too much for him to bear it all.

But it was also at that moment that the pain vanished without warning.

This was not by Xiao's own strength, for he had been rescued by the sound of a flute.

The clear, lovely sound of the flute came over the mountains and rivers, carried on by the wind to where he lays.

And clear it continued to ring till the first light of dawn brought with it the startled flight of distant birds.

“...Why do you always play the flute when I need it the most? I believe it's not a mere coincidence,” scoffed Xiao.

Every time he needed a break, the flute was always there for him. Be it in the break of dawn, or in the darkest of night. Whenever he feels lonely, peaceful, or even afraid.

The clear sound of flute travels through the wind, always finding him wherever he is.

As prideful as he is, Xiao knows that he needed the help, and he appreciated it.

But he wondered who his savior might be.

Peacefulness was all he felt at that moment. He feels free, free from all of the burdens he carries. The sunrise was far more dazzling compared to how he remembered it.

His eyes started to drop, as he felt drowsy. The wind embraced him, lulling him into the dreamland.

Extra :

Morax, Morax, Morax. That stinky old man,” Venti spat. If Morax couldn't free the poor boy from his chains, why doesn't he let Venti take care of him? If Venti hadn't flown as fast as he could, a massacre must have already happened. The wind guided him, and it brought him to Xiao.

“.. What matters is that you're safe now, Xiao.”

Gentle as the wind, Venti stroked Xiao's hair softly. Then, he played a tune on his flute. With his flute, he sang a lullaby for the sleeping boy.