A Little Bit of Warmth

!! Spoiler Warning !!
None

— Chongyun was confused on why he felt hot, then tried to do all things to cool it down, yet he still felt it burning.

“It's not your congenital positivity acting up, Chongyun. It's called love.”

All You Need is a Little Bit of Warmth
- Xingqiu and Chongyun -

A new day, a new task to do. As an exorcist, Chongyun does his job wholeheartedly. He practices hard to banish evil spirits in Liyue.

But lately, he has been having a problem. Something is wrong with him, yet he doesn't know what. He couldn't really tell where it hurts or when, but when it strikes, it hits him hard.

“Chongyun! Where are you going today?” called Xingqiu.

There it goes again.
Not only the sight of him, even hearing Xingqiu's voice makes Chongyun's condition act up. And he already tested it out. He asked Xiangling to do a favor and call his name like how Xingqiu usually calls him. Nothing happened, after a few trials.

So, it must be because of Xingqiu, right?
That's what he thought but..
..No, it couldn't be.

Has he eaten something spicy? No.
Has he dressed up too warm? No.
Has he gotten mad or something? No.

Then what triggered his congenital positivity? What is happening to him?

“Oh, I'm going for a solo mission. You don't need to come with me today, Xingqiu,” Chongyun replied with a cold tone.

That's what he has been saying for the past few days to his best friend.

“Huh, today again? What's with him… he's been acting weird ever since last week..” muttered Xingqiu after Chongyun hurriedly left for his job.

Xingqiu noticed that his best friend has been avoiding him. Either he was too close to his likings —which has never happened before— or Chongyun knows that he is in love with him. If it's the latter, he must have screwed up pretty badly, as the one he's fallen for is very oblivious about it.

His eyebrows scrunched down in distress. Perhaps he was overthinking it. He decided to stop thinking about it and continue his day. The young master will just directly ask the exorcist later when he gets back.

“Again? Why do I even bother to remember these spells..” the young exorcist sighed.

He was supposed to drive an evil spirit away from a ruined down storage in Qingce Village. But when Chongyun tried to approach the spirit, it instantly dissipated. The blue haired teenager's aura was too strong.

“Hey Xingqiu-”
Ah, he forgot that he had left without the other boy. Since when has Xingqiu started making his way into Chongyun's mind, making him unable to not think about that book lover? He regrets not letting Xingqiu tag along with him, as what he needed the most right now is that boy's antics.

He may be annoying, might kind of be a jerk. Yet, he still always managed to put a smile on Chongyun's face, even when he's feeling really down like right now.

Badump.

Chongyun's heart started racing again.

He wasn't particularly happy with it, he was far from being comfortable. It's acting up again, he's sure of it. He felt jittery and his face was burning. What really is triggering his condition?

“Ugh, this is so frustrating," complained the boy while taking out a popsicle he had stored within his pocket. Then, he tore off the wrappings, licking the tip of the ice.

He chomped the last piece.
His heart hasn't settled down.

Cooling himself with cold food and beverages clearly isn't working. So, he went to the top of Dragonspine, searching for a frozen lake.

WOOSH!
Chongyun swung his claymore down to break the ice. After making sure that the hole he made was safe, he jumped inside, soaking in the ice cold water.

He swam for almost an hour.
His heart still hasn't settled down.

“Did something happen to Chongyun? Why is he taking a long time.. Usually he'd be here before evening..” Xingqiu thought to himself.

Now he's really starting to get worried. The one he has a crush on might have actually found out about it. Does Chongyun feel creeped out by it? By his feelings toward him?

As every minute passes, he only grows more and more restless. What if they couldn't go back to the same way they used to be? Xingqiu hates a part of him for loving his best friend. It wasn't right for him to harbor feelings for Chongyun as they're friends, and even best friends have boundaries that they shouldn't pass.

If his feelings were to be returned, he would be ecstatic. But what if he's the only one who loves the other romantically, as a partner for life. Their friendship might even fall apart too.

He must ask him when he comes back.
He definitely has to.

Achoo-!”
Soaking in the lake was a bad idea.

“Cough cough—”
Everything was a bad idea.

Not only did he catch a cold, he still couldn't find the reason why his heart was beating so fast or how to stop feeling weird. Another day of going back empty handed again. The only difference is he's completely soaked, freezing from head to toe.

Xingqiu is so going to lecture him at Xiangling's place. Sighing, he entered the restaurant.

“Chongyun. I need to talk with— What happened to you?!” Xingqiu rushed to him, almost tripping.

To be honest, Chongyun felt happy when he saw how concerned his best friend was. His heart started to race again. This time, it thumps and thumped with both relief and joy.

Relieved to see him after a long day.
Joy to see him smiling brightly.

He misses his friend.
He misses spending time together.

Whatever is going on with him, that doesn't matter. His fast, beating heart? Xingqiu is way more important than that.

Maybe he really is in love with his best friend. But that doesn't matter too.

His heart feels warm.
He really does love Xingqiu.

This time, he will not escape from him again.

“.. I'm back, Xingqiu.”

Romance is so hard to do—
(forgive me, this one took so long to work on T_T)