1

Sophie slammed the door and ran to her huge canopy bed and started crying. She couldn't believe her parents. They were so unfair. This was the worst birthday ever, and one birthday, rebels had attacked the palace, so that says something. She grabbed her stuffed animal, an elephant and hugged her, and cried more.

 She grabbed her stuffed animal, an elephant and hugged her, and cried more

Two Hours Earlier

Sophie had woken up. It was her eighteenth birthday. She was an adult today. She got ready, with the help of her maids, Linh, Marella and Tessa and wore a plain red tunic. Normally, her parents, King Grady and Queen Edaline of the Lost Cities, wouldn't allow her to do so outside her room, but today was her birthday. Every birthday, she'd be allowed to wear whatever she wanted except at the Report. 

She made her way to the dining hall, with her best friend and cousin, Dex. He was an aspiring knight. They sat down at the table and everyone wished Sophie a happy birthday. Grady and Edaline looked.. nervous. Sophie wondered why. "Is everything alright, Mom and Dad?" She inquired. They anxiously looked at each other and said, "Yes. Of Course." Sophie was not satisfied with the answer, but let it go. She would ask afterwards. It was probably something rebel related again. 

After a delicious breakfast, Sophie and her parents went to the council for their daily meeting. Today everyone looked tense. "Happy Birthday, Princess Sophie." They all wished her. They talked a little about budget plans. "Sophie, we need to talk to you." Grady said. "It is your eighteenth birthday and," Grady sighed. "It is time for your selection." Edaline added.

"What!? No ways. Please? This is so unfair." Sophie pleaded. "I'm sorry, but in a year, you will be crowned queen of the Lost Cities and you need a prince-consort by your side." Edaline tried to convince her. "I don't need anyone by my side. Please? Don't you think I can do it on my own?" Sophie argued, with hurt in her voice. "Oh, we do. But trust me. You'll need someone. I myself am not so keen on letting 35 men come to our home, but, just believe me. It worked out great between me and Eda." Grady said and winked at Edaline.

"Please, Sophie." Edaline pleaded. "Do I have a choice?" Sophie asked. "Well, you'll have thirty-five choices, really." Grady said. "Ugh, no. I don't want to do it. I just can't." Sophie crossed her arms. "Enough! You're doing it and that's final! Am I clear?" Grady bursted. Sophie had never seen Grady like that. Tears formed in her eyes and she ran out to her room.

 Tears formed in her eyes and she ran out to her room

"Are you alright, Sophie?" Linh asked her. "No. My parents are forcing me to have a selection." Sophie sobbed. "How do they expect me to take thirty-five strangers and fall in love with one of them." Linh patted circles on Sophie's back. "I always thought having a Selection would be a dream come true. But, when I think of like that, it sounds awful." Marella says. "But, look at the positive side. You might make new friends. You don't really meet a lot of people as you're confined to the castle grounds." Tessa adds. 

"You're right. Maybe, I overreacted. I'll go talk to my parents about it." Sophie said and went to her father's study and knocked. "Come in." Grady said. Edaline and Grady were both sitting there. "Oh, Sophie. I'm so sorry for my outburst." Grady apologized. "I just lost it." 

"Grady, it's fine. I'm sorry too. I know being a princess comes with its ups and downs." Sophie sighed. "I'll do it. I'll do the Selection." "Thank you so much, Sophie." Edaline hugged me. "Now, why don't we show you your birthday surprise?

 "Now, why don't we show you your birthday surprise?

Six Hours Later

All of the make up crew and Sophie's best friend, Biana Vacker hovered over Sophie. "No, no. Pink eyeshadow doesn't suit her. I know just the one." Vertina said. "Gold Eyeshadow!" Biana and Vertina said together. "Please, not too much. I look fine." Sophie pleaded. "Absolutely not." Vertina said. "Those bags under your eyes look so dark. I'll give you some herbal tea bags today. They'll help. For now, concealer please." 

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Princess, a lady doesn't roll her eyes. Let alone the princess of the Lost Cities. Don't you remember our lessons?" Vertina said. "Ok, everyone. Get to the set in positions." Kesler yelled. They all took positions. 

"Good Evening, Lost Cities. Glad you decided to watch the Report, because our beloved princess, Sophie Elizabeth Foster has some news. But, before that, let's wish her a happy 18th Birthday!" Juline, the host said. 

Grady went up and talked to everyone a little about the budget plans and rebels and then, Sophie came up on stage. "Hello. As you all probably know, today is my eighteenth birthday. Today, I have some exciting news for everyone. We are going to have a Selection. The forms will be sent to all the eligible bachelors all over the Lost Cities, and one man from each of the thirty-five provinces will be choosen from a lucky draw system. Next Friday, the names will be read out on the Report. Thank you." 

After the Report, the whole room buzzed with chatter. No one else probably got to know about it. Sophie sighed. She had just one week, before her life changed forever. Just then, Biana came over, fuming. "How could you not tell me, Sophie?" She demanded. "Grady and Edaline told me not tell anyone before." Sophie said. "In case you don't like any of them, send them my way." Biana said. "Seriously, Bi?" Sophie rolled her eyes.

 "Seriously, Bi?" Sophie rolled her eyes