9

Sophie woke up and stretched her arms and yawned. She rubbed her eyes and her hand went through her tangled hair. She felt so tired. What had she done yesterday to make her so tired and sleepy. Then, it all came to her.

Yesterday (After Breakfast)

After talking for so long, a mix of pleasant and uncomfortable conversations with the Selected, and a scrumptious breakfast, Sophie was already exhausted. Sadly, for her, the day was hardly over. It had just begun.

All the Selected looked anxious. They sat uncomfortably and shuffled in their seats. Their hair was stuck to their foreheads with sweat.

Out of them all, Princess Sophie was the most anxious. Could she be maybe eliminating her soulmate? Sweat trickled down her forehead.

"Hello, Selected. It was a pleasure to talk to each and one of you, but sadly, I can't keep you all here. As I call out your name please leave this room and go to the Men's Parlor. The rest, please remain seated."

She called the names out. They left the room. The remaining looked crestfallen. "I'm sorry. It was a pleasure meeting you all. I hope we meet again." Sophie gave them a small, kind smile.

Soon after, they left as well. Sophie went to Councillor's room for the council meeting.

"Ah, Sophie. I didn't expect you here. I hope everything is fine?" Councillor Kenric greeted her. "What do you mean?" Sophie asked.

"King Grady said that you would be given excuse from the council meeting as you were supposed to go on dates with at least ten of the selected by this week." Councillor Oralie explained.

"Oh. I'll be off then. Have a good day!" Sophie said to the Councillors and waved.

She went to the Men's Parlor and decided to ask one of them out. As she entered, all the men stood up.

"Please sit down." Sophie said. "Sir Tam, would you like to accompany me for a minute?"

He stood up, surprised and followed her out. "Thank-.." Sophie was interrupted. "Please don't eliminate me. I need this. I need this for my sister." Tam pleaded. 

"Tam, calm down. I wasn't going to eliminate you. I was asking you out." Sophie blushed crimson red.

"Oh. Sorry for acting that way." Tam apologised. "I'm sorry. I just love my sister so much. We're really struggling." 

"That's fine. I appreciate your love for your sister. I'd love to meet her." Sophie smiled at him. "I think you've already met. Linh, one of your lady-in-waiting is my sister." Tam said. "No wonder she got so happy when she was you got Selected." Sophie said. 

"So, I'll come by your room at twelve for lunch. I hope that's fine." Sophie said. "Of course." Tam bowed and went back in. 

Sophie called her maids and told her to get a picnic basket ready. She went to her room to get ready. She wore a simple beige tunic with some leggings and braided her hair. She went to Tam's room and just as she was about to knock, she heard a crash from inside the room. She opened the door to see Tam covered in goop and a certain smirking blonde boy sitting nearby. 

"What happened?" She asked. "Him." Tam pointed at Keefe. "Tam, go clean yourself while I talk to Sir Keefe here." She instructed. 

"Sir Keefe, you shouldn't have done that." She glared at him. 

"Aw, you look so cute like that." Keefe broke into laughter. "Like a angry little chipmunk. Besides, Bangs Boy deserved it for insulting The Hair and calling it a mop!" 

Sophie continued glaring. "Fine, I am going, Foster." He said. 

"Stop calling me Foster!" Sophie yelled. 

"Okay, Foster!" He said and left. 

Tam came back cleaned and dressed. "Sorry about that." He said. "Come on, let's go." Sophie said and dragged him to the garden with the picnic basket. 

They set up the blanket and sat down and started eating. 

"Tam, if you're fine with it, can you tell me why you're struggling. Aren't you Mai Song's son?" Sophie asked. 

"Well, when me and Linh were twelve, Linh had just manifested as a Hydrokinetic and she couldn't control herself. So, one day when we went to Atlantis, she may have caused a flood and our parents kicked Linh out so I went with her. We both became 8's. Then, Linh found a job but no one would hire me because I'm a Shade and my past history." Tam said. "So, when I saw that there was a Selection we were so hungry that I decided to enter." 

"Oh, I am so sorry." Sophie hugged him.

"The worst part was, after I got Selected, my parents came to our house and started begging for forgiveness." Tam said. 

Sophie gasped. "They kicked their twelve year old's out of the house and come back just like that! How dare they! What did you say?"

"I kicked the door in their face. Linh opened the door and made them tea. After that, I threw them out as well." Tam said. 

"I'm so sorry that happened. What kind of a princess am I to not know about this and let such injustices happen." Sophie bit her lip. "I'll try and see what I can do so such things don't happen again." 

"Sophie, you trying to help shows that you're a good princess and will be a great queen for the Lost Cities. You didn't know." Tam comforted her.

"I'll try and see what I can do to help the hungry." Sophie said. "Thank you, for helping me see my kingdom, outside these beautiful palace walls." 

"Sophie?" Tam asked. "Can we just be friends? I don't think I want a relationship yet." 

"Sure, I'd love to be your friend. I'll give Linh a free day tomorrow so you can spend time with her. I'll keep you here until the top five in the Selection." Sophie said. 

"Thank you so much, Sophie." Tam hugged her. They talked for hours, when two soldiers came. "Princess Sophie and Sir Tam, you are requested inside. The rebels might come. It is not safe." They said. 

They went in and Sophie lay on the bed thinking of ways to help the kingdom. Tam telling her about what happened beyond the walls made her question if she was doing a right job as princess. 

She decided to ask someone else out because she doubt she'd be free tomorrow. She decided to ask Wylie. He seemed nice and it was nice talking with him. 

She knocked on his door and was surprised to see Dex open the door. "Hey Dex. What are you doing here?" She asked. "Me and Wylie were talking. I'll go now." He rushed out of the door.

"Princess Sophie! What a surprise! Please come in." Wylie greeted her. "Hello Wylie. I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with me tonight?" Sophie smiled. 

"Sure. I'll see you then." Wylie flashed a smile at her. As she closed the door, her face became more red by the minute. It felt different then when she asked Tam and there were butterflies in her stomach. 

She went to her room. Linh and Marella were waiting. "Where's Trella?" Sophie asked. "She had to go to the infirmary. She broke her finger when she tripped." Linh said. 

"By the way, how was the date with my brother?" Linh asked. "It was good, Linh. Also, you have an off tomorrow to spend time with your brother. Marella, you can have an off as well. I'll manage." Sophie said.

"Thank you!" They both hugged her. "Now, I have a dinner date with Wylie so, can you help me get ready?" Sophie asked. 

An hour later, she was ready, wearing a red gown, that hugged her waist and flowed from below. She put on some light makeup and wore a pendant with a Moonlark on it. Her hair was made into a braided bun. When she was done, she could barely recongnise herself. 

"You look great!" Linh said. "Thanks, Linh and Marella. I couldn't have done it without you." Sophie gave them a light hug and went to the terrace where dinner was set. 

Wylie came in and his jaw looked as if might fall to the ground. "You look.. beautiful." He said. 

Sophie blushed and sat down. They talked and ate. "What do you like to do in your free time?" Sophie asked him. 

"Well, I love to read." Wylie said. "Really, me too! Finish your dinner quick. I'll show you something! You'll love it!" Sophie brightened up. 

They completed dinner and Sophie led him to the second floor and turned towards a dark hall. "You wanted to show me a dark hall?" Wylie looked surprised. 

"No, silly." Sophie pressed a button under a vase and a door opened. They went inside the dark room. Sophie turned on the lights. It was a large library. "This has all the books ever written from the Forbidden Cities and the Lost Cities." Sophie explained. 

"Wow!" Wylie looked around. "You can come anytime. Just don't tell anyone else. It's supposed to be a secret room." Sophie said.

"Don't worry. You can trust me." Wylie assured her. They stepped out and Sophie looked into his eyes and found themselves getting more near until their lips met. 

Just then, they heard footsteps and found a certain blonde boy staring. This time, he wasn't smirking.

Hey Keepers! How's it going? I took small breaks between my study sessions for my exam and made this chapter

Hey Keepers! How's it going? I took small breaks between my study sessions for my exam and made this chapter. Hope you enjoy! BTW, Extra Long just for you guys!