14

"So, you're telling me that out of nowhere you knew how to extinguish Everblaze and found the ingredients for it in your pocket!" Grady almost yelled. After they had leaped to a safe place in the Forbidden Cities, in an old isolated forest, to stay while the castle was being rebuilt, Sophie and Keefe sat down to tell them everything.

"I don't know. It was like someone had planted it in my head for something." Sophie bit her lip. "I just knew. I heard the name Everblaze, and it just came to me." 

"Do you think someone broke in? We should keep you safe in case." Edaline suggested, softly. 

"Guys, whoever did this knew it was going to happen. They wanted me to do something about it. They are the good guys. We don't need protection from them. They saved the lost cities from burning down." Sophie explained. 

"Edaline is right. We are going to keep you safe in your room till then. No coming out until everything's sorted out." Grady said.

"What! No. Don't do that." Sophie pleaded.

"We have to. And that's an order from the king." Grady looked at her sternly.

"Mom! Please reason with him. I can help. My people need me." Sophie pleaded, looking at Edaline. 

"He's right. Until we know everything's okay, we are most definitely not letting you out of your room." Edaline said. "I'm sorry."

Sophie huffed and went inside her room banging it, leaving a loud echo around the hallway. She flung herself on the bed, upset with her parents. Herself. Fintan. The Neverseen. The whole world. Thinking, she fell into a deep slumber.

It was soon morning. The light came through the windows, falling on her face. She pulled the covers on top of herself, sleepily. A few minutes later, she heard someone come in, and just seconds later, the door slammed shut. Sophie was startled and woke up to find her breakfast in a tray. She sulkily grabbed her plate to have it in bed. 

As she moved the plate, she noticed a note in loopy handwriting. She picked it up and read it to herself. 

----------------------------------------

Meet us in the cave,
At the edge of the woods, you can find.
With our help, you can save,
All of elven kind.

- The Black Swan

---------------------------------------------

She read it over and over. What did it mean? She decided she had to go. This would either be a trap but, she had to do something. She wasn't do anything sitting in her room. So, she levitated to the top of the room and teleported outside the safe place since she didn't know what the cave looked like. 

Quietly, she walked in the dark, afraid if she'd turn on a light, everyone would know where she was. She walked a few steps and just then, she bumped into a figure.

"Who's there?" The voice asked. "Oh, it's you, Biana. Thank goodness." Sophie sighed. 

"Where are you going?" Biana asked, suspicious. Sophie was reluctant to tell her but gave in. "I received a note to meet an organization, Black Swan, at a cave at the edge of the woods. So, I'm going. Please don't tell anyone." Sophie pleaded. 

"I won't let you go. Not if you don't let me come too." Biana said. "Please. No. I can't let you risk yourself." Sophie argued.

"Sophie, if you think I am going to let you do something so dangerous and stupid without me, you are wrong. I am coming or you're not going." Biana argued back.

"Fine, you can come." Sophie sighed in defeat. "But, if there's any danger you are going to run back, even if it's without me, alright?"

Biana nodded, unclearly. "We'll discuss that," She said. Sophie looked at the stubborn teal-eyed girl skeptically but eventually gave in. She knew Biana wouldn't stop. They started walking towards the cave at the edge of the woods. Just before they were going to enter the cave, Sophie took out two blades from her socks and handed one to Biana. They stealthily went inside.

The cave was pitch black. Sophie and Biana went inside and walked a few steps, their blades out, to protect them against any dangers.

Just as they walked further into the dark cave, a light turned on from behind. Sophie tripped in surprise. "Ouch!" She exclaimed as she sprained her ankle.

"Hello Miss Foster, Miss Vacker." A voice said from behind. They turned behind to see an old man, with grey hair and blue eyes.

"Who are you? What do you want with me?" Sophie showed out her blade with one hand, not looking very threatening with her injured foot in another.

"Oh, moonlark. You have grown." He said. "What are you talking about?" Sophie asked, bewildered at what he meant. 

"I am Mr. Forkle or better known to you as Magnate Leto. I am the leader of the Black Swan." He said. Sophie gasped. Magnate Leto was the dark-haired silver tower beacon while she was in Foxfire. Sometime after she had graduated, he had become the headmaster of the prestigious school. 

"What does the Black Swan have to do with me?" Sophie asked. "You will want to sit down for this." Mr. Forkle said. 

They sat down on the rocks, hesitantly. "I am the leader of Black Swan. Miss Foster, as you know, you are adopted. Well, I don't know how to phrase this correctly, but we made you." Mr. Forkle explained. 

"What do you mean, 'we made you'?" Sophie asked, in a sarcastic tone, rolling her eyes. "Wait, Project Moonlark... Black Swan?" Biana bit her lip. "I think I am recalling something." 

Biana thought for a little before she exclaimed, "I got it! Well, I shouldn't be so happy, because you're not going to like what I just guessed." She looked at Sophie apologetically. 

Sophie sighed and said, "Just tell me." Biana looked at the grey-haired man and he gave her a small nod. "Well, when I had just discovered how to use my ability, I wanted to scare my dad to tell him about my new ability and when I went inside, he was talking to Councillor Kenric." 

A tear dropped from her eye, remembering the warm read-headed councilor. When she was first adopted by Edaline and Grady, he was among the only two councilors who accepted her and greeted her warmly. Without his support, she wouldn't be here. But, he was gone now. All because of the Neverseen. A rush of anger burned inside Sophie. 

"Councillor Kenric and father sounded like they were in a heated conversation. Why don't I show you the conversation?" Sophie put her hands on Biana's temples and found herself looking at Councillor Kenric and Alden arguing in Alden's office.

"You got to trust me about this. I was right about Project Moonlark too, wasn't I? She is safe now. I really feel the Black Swan is with us. We need to ally with them." He yelled. 

"But, you know how King Grady and Queen Edaline feel about the Black Swan. They think they killed Princess Jolie." Kenric argued back. 

The flashback ended. Sophie found herself with a pounding headache. "Is to true then?" She looked towards Mr. Forkle. He gave a small nod. "We genetically created you in a lab. We kept you in the Forbidden Cities until you were two years old and we took you to the palace." 

Sophie tugged on her eyelashes and bit her lip hard, making it bleed. "Why did you create me?" She wondered, questioning her existence. "The goal of the project was to acquire a new perspective by having an elf grow up with humans and then come to the Lost Cities to help us overthrow the Neverseen." Mr. Forkle explained. "We played your genes and gave you many advantages. That's why you're the only known elf with five abilities." 

"And you didn't think of adding grace in there?" Sophie snorted. Mr. Forkle grumbled something close to "You kids...". 

"So, I am your puppet? You make me, with my whole life set out for me. I have no say in this?" Sophie asked, sadly. "Moonlark, you always have a say in this. You're not our puppet, it's your choice." Mr. Forkle said. 

Sophie gave a small nod. "I have one last question. Did you really kill Jolie?" She asked. "No." Mr. Forkle said, briefly. "Well, it's getting late. You and Miss Vacker should leave before they notice you are gone." Mr. Forkle said as he leaped away. Sophie and Biana went outside the cave. Sophie decided to sneak back in instead of teleporting since the trees were too low. 

They walked a little before they were met by Sophie's bodyguards led by Sandor. "Princess Foster! Where were you? The king and queen were worried sick." He said in his squeaky voice. 

Sophie looked at Biana nervously and they gave a long sigh. They had a lot of explaining to do.