Chapter 3

Next morning, when Steve woke up, he went to his kitchen. He saw Danny make breakfast. He said "Morning, I didn’t knew you could cook’’

"I can, very well.’’ Danny signed before grabbing the plate of pancakes and leaving it on the table alongside two cups of coffee.They sat across each other and he signed "My daughter loves them,’’ pointing at the pancakes.

His filter from mind to hands must be broken, because he thought What? Why the hell am I telling him that. Not many people knew that he had a daughter, not even in the bureau.

Steve had a sad expression on his face, rubbed a circle with his fist to his chest, pointed at Danny and signed "Daughter, didn’t know, you stay away because of me,’’ and he rubbed his fist to his chest, saying sorry, feeling guilty from keeping Danny away from her.

Danny could see how much Steve struggled by feeling guilt for every action of his. He noticed it yesterday too. He had to make Steve feel relaxed, and not worried and sad again. Nothing better than the truth he told himself

"You aren’t, she stays with my e-x.’’ he replied.

Steve immediately looked up at him, signed ,’’Sorry,can I help?’’ and smiled, hoping the topic of their conversation would change.

Danny signed "NO,’’ and smiled. Steve was looking at Danny while he was eating, Danny could understand he had something to say.He put down his fork and signed "Tell me’’ sharply and hoped Steve would not try to bury it.

Steve signed "What?’’ and putted his best,I don’t know about what you are talking about face, hoping Danny would just drop it.

Danny replied, "You want to tell me something but you're holding back. Tell me.’’

Steve signed "You are the first person I told about the nightmares.’’

"I’m flattered.’’ Danny signed back, noticing that like last night,when Steve wasn’t feeling comfortable,he stopped talking and just signed.

==H50==

The days passed. Steve and Danny argued every day about the fact that Steve wanted to train at six in the morning, and about the fact that Danny didn't wanted him to leave the safe house.

A week before Christmas, they went to the Bureau's headquarters. Danny had some stuff to work on, and Steve wanted to speak to Danny's boss. He was in Danny's boss' office. He was only signing because he didn't wanted Danny to hear what they were discussing.

"Can we do this?" Steve signed.

Danny’s boss replied,’’It’s against the rules,’’ and he did the sign for S, and he crossed his hands at the wrists, the back facicng each other and tapped them—Steve’s name sign.

Steve signed, "I don't care about the rules."

They kept discussing it for the next ten minutes until Danny walked in.

Danny's boss said, "We'll see.’’

"OK," Steve signed to Danny, "We ready?"

Danny signed back, "Yes."

Steve looked at Danny's boss, "Thank you, sir."

They left the office, and Danny asked, "What were you talking about?"

Steve shook his head, "Nothing important."

It were three days before Christmas. There was a knock on the door. Danny went to the door, opened it. He saw an agent escorting Grace. He smiled and hugged her. "Monkey, what are you doing here?"

Grace hugged him back. "Mom told me I was gonna spend the holidays with you"

He hugged her again, his thoughts going to Steve immediately. He turned his head, and saw Steve looking at them, and smiling

"You?" Danny signed.

Steve replied, "Yes."

"How?" Danny asked.

Steve signed, "I talked to your boss. It was hard but..."

Danny hugged him. "Thank you." he signed and he felt Steve relaxing against him. That made the FBI agent smile in the knowledge that he made Steve feel happy and calm.

Danny looked at Grace and signed "G-r-a-c-e, meet Steve, I am protecting him’’.

Grace putted on her brightest smile and signed, "Hi, Steve, nice to meet you, I'm G-r-a-c-e."

"Hi, G-r-a-c-e, nice to meet you." Steve signed. "You know how to sign?"

"Yes," She did the sign for the letter G and then she took her arms out and scratched her armpits,signing MONKEY,to show Steve her name sign.She signed ‘’my name sign’’ and then Steve did his and signed ‘’mine.’’

She smiled and signed, "Where's the tree?"

Steve smiled at Danny and then signed, a very bright smile at his face to match Grace’s "Yes’’, he made Danny’s name sign and continued, "where’s the tree?’’

Danny signed "I didn’t know about this—why you think I have a tree?’’

Steve giggled, his face bright as the sun and signed, "Your boss told me when I asked for a tree.’’

Danny smiled again,it was a really beautiful day,full of happiness. It took their minds away from the danger they faced every day.’’It will be here this afternoon.’’ he signed.

Danny hadn't done anything like this for anyone in the past. He was doing all of it for Steve, though—and he had Grace for the holidays. He was so happy. He smiled when he saw Steve

sitting on the sofa with Grace. Grace got her PS4 out of her bag. Her step-dad had bought it for her and she loved it, like any other kid her age.

She set up the console, opened the TV, handed a controller to Steve and they started playing Arma and Call of Duty. Danny couldn't believe how much his sweet little Grace had grown up, and now she had started playing games like that. She was good too, but so was Steve. He went outside to talk with one of the guards and check the perimeter, and left Steve and Grace inside playing.