Chapter 17 - Shopping Trip

The following day, Maiah, Rain and I set off to go do a bit of shopping in the town close by. It was a lovely warm day with barely a cloud in the sky but a nice fresh breeze. I hadn't spent much of the allowance since being here so I knew I could splash my cash a bit. It was nice having some money to spend on myself. When we got into town, we went into some clothes shops first of all. I was running out of shirts and jeans considering they were always getting burnt or ripped. I decided on getting more workout clothes, cheap ones that I didn't care if they got ruined or not.

"It's hard to believe you'd wear clothes like this considering what you were like when you first started." Maiah commented as I picked up a tank top.

"I know, but I have no reason to hide anymore." I said, looking at another tight fitting t-shirt.

"You couldn't even if you wanted to." Rain snorted.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I frowned at her. She looked a little taken back.

"You mean you don't know?"

"Don't know what?"

"That... Oh my god Cov, you're like the boss bitch of the school." Rain stated, giving me a serious look.

"Boss bit- what?" I was completely speechless.

"Everyone knows you're the strongest student and you're going out with the second strongest student. Before you came along it was Phoenix and his friends that were the cool kids, or the bad asses, whatever. Then you came along, joined a massive group of people together, not to mention Cordelia's terrified of you." Rain carried on. I opened and closed my mouth a few times, not knowing what to say.

"You're the queen bee, I think is what Rain is trying to say." Maiah said, looking at my gobsmacked face. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"When did that happen?" I whispered.

"Oh, I'd say right around the time you took down Phoenix then he couldn't keep his hands off of you." Rain said, smirking at me over the pair of jeans she was looking at. I looked away, not knowing what to say.

"So, you mean, we're like the 'cool' kids?" I asked them both, just to make sure I understood correctly, putting air quotes around the word cool.

"Pretty much." Rain said, like it didn't even phase her. Maybe that's why she had no objections to hanging out with students younger than her.

"Top of the food chain, I think they say." Maiah commented, watching me for my reaction.

"Why is my life like an American high school movie?" I asked her.

"We live in a world of clichés." She said, shrugging her shoulders. I went back to looking at clothes, not really paying attention anymore.

"So, are we all like... Collectively cool?" I asked Maiah. She sighed but caught herself so it was like she didn't want me to know she didn't really want to talk about it. She turned to face me.

"I'm going to put it as simply as possible for you Tina. Before you started here, Phoenix and his mates were at the top and Cordelia was the queen bee. People avoid both as much as possible no matter how much they wanted to be one of them. Then, you came along, beat Phoenix and his mates, scared Cordelia off and now you are at the top of the school. No one else. Just you. People watch us all train, you know? And they only ever talk about you afterwards. Have you not noticed the looks people give you in the corridor?" She asked, tilting her head at me. I swallowed harshly.

"No." I whispered. I berated myself. I always took a lot of pride in being observant. Turns out I wasn't when it came to myself.

"People are scared of you, Tina." My head snapped up to look at her. "Just remember, the higher you are, the further you fall." She turned on her heel and went to the back of the shop.