Chapter 22 - Frost Bite

The next morning Phoenix and I were making our way to English. I crashed at his last night and waited for Maiah to leave our room this morning before going in to have a shower and change of clothes. During breakfast Tyson, Maiah, Ken and Peter all sat on a different table to us on the other side of the cafeteria. Using my powers, I looked over Maiah's body and internally flinched when I realised I actually done some damage when I threw her against the wall yesterday. I healed the lump on her head and the scratches she had on her back and arms. She had a small cracked rib which I also healed, earning a hiss from her.

I felt guilty for hurting her, but she shouldn't have been so bitchy. Accusing me of sleeping with two guys or cheating on Phoenix? I mean, who did she think she was? She had no right telling me what I could or couldn't do, even if she was my friend. Well, she's not anymore at least. Phoenix said something, earning a chuckle out me, snapping me back to the present moment. 

We walked into English and I froze, looking at the empty seat next to Maiah. Phoenix and I looked at each other before I stepped forward and sat next to her. I know the seat next to Phoenix was unoccupied but I still felt guilty when It came to Maiah. She tensed and moved as far away from me as she could in her seat. I sighed, looking at the slight fear in her eyes and the shaking of her hands. Great, now she was scared of me.

"Class, quieten down. We have a new student joining us today. This is Aguya. I trust you will all make her feel welcome. Aguya, please sit next to Phoenix." Miss Indra pointed to the empty seat next to Phoenix. She smiled warmly at him as she sat down where as Phoenix just ignored her. My heart skipped a beat at that interaction for some reason. Miss Indra started the lesson and within a few minutes I had completely zoned out. I started doodling on my notepad, thinking of everything that had happened since I started at this school.

It was hard to believe just a few months ago I was living with my alcoholic mother and hiding all my powers. I frowned when I thought about Kai. His story still not sitting right with me. With what Cham said yesterday about us two being the only ones not having any family members with powers and the fact that Kai said he also went to my old school. I just knew that was a massive lie. I really wanted to get down to the bottom of who Kai was and his actual story but there was no way I could do it without people thinking there was an ulterior motive.

"So work with your neighbour to go through the different discussion points on the board." I snapped back into reality at the teachers words. I looked at the board at the front of the room, then at Maiah. She was looking intently at her piece of paper in front of her, ignoring me completely. 

"Hi, I'm Aguya." I heard a melody of a voice speak in front of me. I looked up at the new girl, fluttering her eye lashes at Phoenix. He looked at her slowly, snorted, then turned to look at me.

"Wanna trade work partners?" He asked me. Before anyone even said anything, Maiah stood up grabbing her stuff. Phoenix didn't need to be told twice, grabbing his bag and notepad and sitting next to me.

"Hi." I said, smiling at him.

"Hi baby." Phoenix said, looking deep into my eyes, kissing me on the lips. "So," Phoenix pulled away and looked at my notepad. He frowned and dragged it closer to him. "Splash, what's this?" He asked, still looking at my notepad. I looked down to see what he was looking at. I gasped, leaning closer.

"What the..." I felt my eyes widen and my heart speed up. Using my powers, I slowed it down so I didn't feel as panicked as I what I was.

"Is that..?" Phoenix trailed off.

"Looks like it." I mumbled. We both stayed quiet, looking at my scribble of a drawing. Whilst I was daydreaming, I drew what looked like Mars on my notepad. It was a mess of scribbles but the eyes and the evil smile were definitely his.