Chapter 2 - Stronger

I still haven't met my roommate. I stayed out until the 12pm curfew just wandering around trying to get a feel of the place. They had one part of the school for our normal academic lessons and another for training our abilities. There were plenty of fields and sport halls so I'm guessing they try to keep the students as active as possible. I was currently on my way to the inside arena to meet the teachers for them to assess my abilities. I was slightly nervous seeing as no one has really seen me use my powers before except for the two guys yesterday and when I had the duel. My heart pounded in my chest about them mentioning that I have two affinities.

Do I tell them I have two affinities?

I got lost in my thoughts and before I knew it I was walking through the doors of the arena. My jaw dropped at the sheer size of the place. Looking around there were a few different sections, one for each element. There was a section of rocks and hills, a dry waste land, a massive open space and a giant swimming pool. I tried to take in all my surroundings but there was just too much going on. There was a few students in here training, making my heart leap some more that there really were people out there like me.

"Coventina, delighted to see you again." The head teacher said when I made my way over to the pool. I could see a massive waterfall behind him that I really wanted to stand under. I just nodded my head at him. "Right, this is Mrs. Darya, she is the head of the water elements and this is Mr. Douglas the deputy. We want you to show us what you can do so we know which class to put you in for your lessons. Now, when you're ready." Mr. Peters gestured to the pool.

I looked at the pool, then over at the teachers. Mrs. Darya gave me a warm smile and a small nod of her head in encouragement. She looked to be late twenties, early thirties and had a pair of glasses perched oh her nose. She had big blue eyes that glistened in the light. She had a kind face, I wasn't surprised she was a teacher. I took a deep breath, looking back at the water. Well, here goes nothing. I took a few steps forward until I was at the edge of the pool. I took another deep breath before stepping forward and walking on the water. When I was in the middle of the pool, I turned around. I realised I caught the attention of some of the students who started to make their way over to us.

"Very good Coventina, that's an ability we teach the sixth years." Mr. Douglas said. Something I read about yesterday was the school years were different here. People aged thirteen were in the first year and it went up from there to eighteen. Because I never had anyone teach me how to use my powers, I should be in one of the lower groups, they probably would have expected me to be in the second or third year. I had no idea what level my abilities were, but I knew I was good.

I looked around the room feeling my palms start to sweat as more students came over to witness the new kid. I swallowed the lump in my throat then turned myself into water and mixing with the pool. I always felt better being in water or around water. Even though I turned my body into water and I no longer had a physical form, I felt myself relax. I looked at the teachers to see them share a look with each other. I jumped up out the water and by the time I landed on the surface, my body was whole again. There were a few whispers and I noticed people texting on their phones. I rolled my eyes at them then knelt down, resting my hand on the top of the water turning it to ice. 

"Ah, so your affinity is ice then?" Mrs. Darya asked.

"I guess." I replied, creating ice blades on the bottom of my trainers and skating around a bit.

"You've turned the whole pool into ice?" She asked again.

"You bet." I smiled at her, skating past the waterfall and snapping of an icicle. 

"That's very good, to be able to freeze that amount of water." She smiled back at me.

"We'll have to get Miss Murray to come and change it back to water." Mr. Douglas said, more so to himself than anything.