Chapter 25 - I Knew You Were Trouble

The rest of the week seemed to drag by. I felt like I was floating through my life. I spent a lot of my time hiding in the library or in the woods at the back of school. My friends kept giving me sympathy looks as I stopped talking to all of them except Phoenix. I'd still sit with them during meals but I wouldn't say anything, even if they spoke to me first.

Maiah tried to talk to me whenever I saw her but I just walked off. Whenever we were in our dorm room together, I'd just leave and not return until I knew she was asleep or staying round Tyson's. Eventually she got the hint and stopped trying.

It was currently Sunday morning and we were all having breakfast. It took a few days for everyone to start talking like they normally would. There was an awkwardness in the air after what happened during the tournament. I felt a pair of eyes on me from across the table but I was purposely ignoring it.

"C'mon Cov, you need to snap out of it!" Cam said, raising his voice at me. I felt myself freeze, not use to him using that tone of voice, especially on me.

"Camden..." Phoenix warned him.

"No, Phoenix. I've had enough! She's wondering around like a shell of a person. Look Cov, none of us blame you for what happened. We're your friends and we're on your side. We witnessed her attacking you, you have to forgive yourself." A few seconds went by before I looked at Cam in the eyes. I took in his worried face and felt my façade start to slip.

"What about training?" I mumbled. If they didn't hate me for what I done to Aguya, they must hate me now they cant train anymore. Cam rolled his eyes at me.

"You said yourself, we're stronger than anyone else in the school, we don't need all the extra training anyway." I studied his face, making sure he wasn't lying. I looked at everyone else at the table. They were all watching me for my reaction. Any time I met their eyes, they all offered me a small smile.

"Do you guys hate me?" I asked everyone. Straight away they all started to say no. I felt my lips twitch up a bit.

"Tell them Splash." I looked up at Phoenix. "Tell them your idea." I nodded my head at him.

"Well, I was thinking, if you all wanted to..." I trailed off.

"Yes?" Cam asked, giving me one hundred percent of his attention. I looked into his caring green eyes.

"I was thinking of sneaking out of school and training in Belvedere Woods." My comment lingered in the air for a few seconds. Everyone slowly looked at everyone else in the group and after a few minutes of low conversation there was a unanimous yes. I smiled slowly at everyone.

"Umm, guys?" We all looked at Ethan as he spoke. "I'm really sorry but I don't think it's a good idea."

"Why not?" Cham asked him.

"I just think, maybe the headteacher was right. I - I just don't want to be involved... If this is what you guys want to do. I'm really sorry." Ethan smiled sadly at me, picking up his tray and dumping by the bin on his way out.

"Anyone else?" I asked, looking down at the table.

"Well, I can't speak for anyone else here but I was taken out in one hit in the team battle." Aaron said, clenching his fists on the table, showing a side to him I've never seen before. "Kai's attack came out of nowhere and I can't let something like that happen again. I'm in."

"I mean, I've been here for many years and I've progressed so fast so quickly. You training us Cov... It, it really helps. You train us better than any of the teachers here ever have." Rain stated, looking at me. After that everyone agreed that we'll sneak out after curfew to go train.