Chapter 29 - Break In

My breathing became heavier as frustration grew in me. I was silently begging in my head for this to not be over, for Mrs. D to fight. She had to. She was strong and now it was time to prove it.

"C'mon, please!" I wailed. "Please, please, please!" My eyebrows knitted together in annoyance.

"Ahh!" I opened my eyes when I heard a groan that wasn't mine. Mrs. D's eyes were scrunched together tightly, her chest slowly rising and falling. I stopped my movements and just watched her breathe. Listening to her heart. Feeling the life come back to her body.

"Ow." She groaned again, raising a hand to her chest.

"Mrs. Darya?" I whispered leaning over her. She blinked her eyes awake, trying to focus on me.

"That... Hurt." She breathed out before going limp again. I wrapped my armour around me and created a water bed under her to carry her. Without giving it a second thought, I took off in the direction of the school. Her heart rate was still slow and getting slower by the minute. I flew us as fast as I could, she needed to get medical attention as soon as possible and I was in no state of mind to do it.

By the time we made it to school, her breathing had slowed down and I was worried we were too late. There was no one wandering around the school grounds so I knew it was past curfew. I took us straight to the infirmary, laying her on a bed. I rang the bell as loudly as I could, disappearing before any of the nurses saw me.

"Oh my gosh! I need some help in here!" I heard a nurse shout when she saw Mrs. Darya on the bed. I breathed a sigh of relief and hoped we made it in time. I flew to the top of the infirmary roof and fell on my hands and knees. My whole body felt heavy as the different emotions took over me. I rolled onto my back, taking deep breaths, trying to get a hold of myself. I watched the clouds roll through the sky, trying to change my breathing with them.

I sat up, pulling my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around me. I closed my eyes as I felt a tear run down my cheek. As soon as I started crying, I couldn't stop. It was a deep, heartfelt, ugly cry. My entire being feeling broken, mind, body and spirit. How I felt after hurting Aguya was only a fraction of how I felt now. The only way I could feel worse is if I actually killed Mrs. Darya.

I need to stop hurting people.

I felt my power inside me soar.

I leant back, eyes going wide, my breathing turning more into a pant. My power raced through my veins, from my chest all the way down to my fingers and toes. My whole body tingled at the new sensation and at one point I thought I heard a mechanical laugh echo around me. I hissed as the tingling turned into burning. I looked down at my hands to see a blue shimmer run under my skin like that time in the sea after Kai kissed me.

As soon as the pain came, it left and I was panting on the roof, staring at my hands still. What the hell was that and why does that keep happening? I clenched my fists a few times, somehow feeling different. I took a could of deep breaths, checking over my body. I felt stronger than before but I hadn't the faintest idea why this kept happening to me. I stood up and looked down at the school grounds. It was eerily quiet, making me feel uneasy.

As it was Sunday evening, I knew no one would be leaving school to come train. I told everyone they needed one night a week to rest and they'd need all their mental and physical strength for the first day back at school after the weekend. I used my powers to see where everyone was. It seemed that all students were in their beds, most of which were already asleep. Most teachers were in their beds but a few were in their classrooms, probably preparing for the school week.

It felt bittersweet being back here. This was the closest to a home I've ever had, but after everything that has happened, I didn't want to be here. I had a flashback to the conversation Mr. Peters and I had in his office before I left. I needed answers. I had to get them and now that I was here, it felt like the perfect time to get them. I jumped in the air and flew over to the library. I made sure to never let my feet touch the ground so Mr. Peters, or anyone else, will never know I'm here.