𝟖. 𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝘀𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗿

Mornings were no longer as cold as they had been, making the hours pass much more comfortably. Some even stripped down to their base layer of top clothing by the end of the session, beads of sweat coating their skin as they panted out unevenly.

The slight loss of tension between you and Yelena was also noticeable, and it gave you a sense of comfort knowing that things weren't as bad as they were just a few days earlier. Sure, you weren't going to go around jumping in grassy fields with her, but the small amount of mutual respect was greatly appreciated.

Once concluded one of the morning training periods, you decided to approach her with the intentions of having a brief talk with her. Nothing was wrong, you simply were organising out the weaponry that each member would take up on once they arrived at the volunteer's headquarters.

You approached her, determination in your step as you were no longer worried about getting reprimanded by her for simply being nearby.

"Yelena, do you have a moment? I won't be long, I just wanted to coordinate some plans with you, so we don't end up with misunderstandments later on"

The blonde looked down at you as she lowered the hand that had been raking through her hair, nodding once you finished speaking. Knowing she was now listening, you started to explain a few of the things you had prepared by yourself, justifying by saying that you didn't want to leave everything to her.

"And the ones located at the top of the southern building could be equipped with two sets of rifles, in case they encounter a fellow ally in need of a weapon. What do you think so far?"

Your finger had been eagerly pointing at the rough draft of a scheme that was on the paper you were holding, which you had specifically brought along with you that morning. Yelena remained silent as you explained, and you looked up at her for her opinion once you finished.

"I don't see any problems as of now, but we should probably take into account that those at the entrance of the western building won't be able to easily hide the guns you've assigned them"

"But won't they be disguised as Marleyan soldiers anyway?"

"Someone from the army could notice the difference in weapons, and then we'd be done for. I'd say we give them the rifles, which are similar to the ones the soldier use, and save the carbines for those at the top"

"Okay, but I thought they would be less suitable for the ones who are going to be long range aiming, that's why I gave them the rifles. Remember, they also have to sneak in without being caught with the weapons"

By now, everyone had left the courtyard, a few eyes having lingered on the two of you seemingly getting along. It was a relief, but they also found it rather sudden that the two of you had already made up.

"Yes, I know that. But the ones at the top also have less of a chance of getting hit, and therefore, have more time to straighten their aim if they happen to miss"

It really wasn't as complicated as the two of you were making it out to be, but the lingering distaste that you both still held towards each other was still very much present, and it didn't help out the situation.

"Alright, fine. But what about the rifles down below? They're not going to very much damage against men that will also be equipped with the same weapons"

"There will be more fighters moving in once the attack starts, so it won't be of a problem at the time"

You still couldn't get through to her. Hours on end had you spent the night before trying to set everything up, and she really believed that you hadn't thought of each and every possible outcome of the formations?