𝟏𝟗. 𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗼, 𝗜 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁

No matter how many times you tried to deny it to yourself, the reality of it all was that you weren't going to escape the tragedies that had struck, ever. The only comfort you had was knowing that you were far from the only one suffering from such feelings.

The stirring of people died down as the hours went by, the sun lightening the inside of the old building. A warmth that seemed almost nostalgic enveloped the once cold rooms, now left with only empty beds and mattresses. Those who had had a fast recovery were helping others in the courtyard, whilst the unfortunate that hadn't made it to see sunrise were being assigned coffins to finally rest in.

You only saw what was going on in the area where, only a few days prior, everyone had been training in. Playful fighting and strict commands had been replaced by low voices, speaking to each other as everything was being prepared for departure. There was no use in staying in the building any longer, it would only prove to be a direct target for the enemies if they were to find you all.

Dry eyes watched as the shadows of the tall pillars that made up the courtyard traced along the ground; you had lost track of time before the sun had even risen, remaining seated beside the window in silence until you were to be called that evening to prepare whatever was left. A sleeping figure behind you was all that you had to consider company throughout the day.

Mrs. Henzler had only asked you to help with paperwork, knowing well that neither you nor Viktoria were in any shape to start dealing with heavy equipment. You had insisted that you could help, but a gentle wave of her hand had ordered you otherwise. And although you appreciated the hours of rest, this meant that you were left alone with Viktoria as everyone else had been assigned their tasks for the day.

Yelena was no exception to this, of course. Once you had recollected yourself, she spent some more time with you before she was called out by one of the volunteers. With a kiss to your temple, she had whispered a faint "I'll come to find you later" before leaving you to your thoughts, the ones you had been dreading to face again.

So you distracted yourself with the outside views and papers that were delivered on an almost hourly basis. Signing here and there, skimming over pages of text that held the description of how the attack had been planned out.

These were the papers that had been used on the first days you had spent in the hideout, and it felt almost surreal knowing that they had been carved into something so intricate in only a matter of months. 

It wouldn't be until that evening that you would meet with Yelena again. You spent the time moving between the chair beside the window and the bed Viktoria was resting on.

As a breeze broke out in the middle of the afternoon, the sun starting to set behind the walls that surrounded all, the dark-haired woman woke up once more from her irregular slumber.

She hadn't spoken a word all day, only clinging onto your side whenever you approached her to give her a sign of comfort.

The sight was far from a pleasing one, but you mustered up all your attempts in keeping her relatively stable during the day. You needed her to be ready by sundown, so you let her repose for as long as she could. It wasn't until a knock rang out from the door of the room that you realised just how long you had been caressing her hair as she laid on your lap, the dim shimmer of the moon being overshadowed by intruding candlelight.

"Y/N, we need you in the offices"

It was Bernadette. Her eyes flickered momentarily down at Viktoria's sleeping fall, a sorrowful expression spreading across her face as she did. A nod was all she received as a response on your behalf, and you moved ever so carefully as you finally stood up from the cushioned surface, to not wake the woman.