Chapter One

"Lady Impa and Lord (Y/N). Your presence has been requested in the throne room." (Y/N) and Impa were both of the Sheikah tribe and royal advisors. The two siblings nodded at the guard and headed to where they were needed.

King Rhoam didn't hesitate to get to business immediately. "We need you to escort the Champions to the Korok Forest, we must find a knight worthy to wield the sword that seals the darkness."

"Father," Zelda starts. Before she can continue, he holds a hand up.

"How many times have I told you that you need to focus on awakening your powers?"

"I know, father, it's just that I need to find more data to calibrate the Divine Beasts. This is necessary."

(Y/N) looks at the common scene of the bickering between the father and daughter before butting in as politely as he could, bowing down in reverence to the king, "Excuse me, your majesty, but if Impa, Link, and I accompany her, along with the Champions, we could assure her safety. This way she can quickly go back to focusing on her unawakened powers."

Zelda's eyes seem to sparkle, and she gives (Y/N) a quiet thank you, nodding her head. King Rhoam scratches his chin for a moment. "Alright, I trust you, Lord (Y/N). Keep my daughter safe."

"Always, your majesty."

On their way to the forest, Link rides his horse beside (Y/N)'s. His stoic face always forward-facing, eyes never wavering towards their destination. The boys had been living in the castle for as long as they could remember, both being workers for the royal family, (Y/N) following into the footsteps of his older sister as a royal advisor, and Link seasoned to be a royal guard from birth. They were close, being playmates from when they were young, and (Y/N) always got Link into trouble with his mischief around the castle. The two were inseparable. But as time went on and they both had more duties to attend to, Link distanced himself as he got older, leaving the other boy desperate to rekindle the friendship they once had.

"Link?" He called out. The other hummed a small reply, showing he was listening. "Do you like being Zelda's royal guard?" (Y/N) asked, unsure of what else to say, but still curious about the answer.

"I enjoy being able to leave the castle often. Princess Zelda always keeps me on my toes." He gave a smile saying the last part, one that (Y/N) could barely see from his side profile, but he still saw how it graced his face and lit up his features, making him all the more handsome.

"I just wish the king could let Zelda explore her interests and continue her research instead of focusing only on her powers." (Y/N) frowned, the princess was very passionate about her research on the guardians and divine beasts, and he knew how much it hurts her to have her father put her down.

"She still finds ways to research, with or without the king's permission, you don't need to be worried about her."

(Y/N) let out a huff of a laugh, "She is one persistent girl. I can't tell whether I love or hate it."

Link doesn't give a response, just looked at the male beside him, his blue eyes piercing into (E/C) ones, before quickly flicking away to the dirt road ahead of them, his shaggy blond hair effortlessly flowing behind him from the wind.

It wasn't unusual for Link to abruptly go silent in a conversation. (Y/N) didn't think much of it, and let his mind drift off, staring at the big open blue sky above them. The trip was filled with mostly silence, save for a few small comments here and there. It wasn't uncomfortable silence, the boys were both more quiet characters and often found comfort just being near each other.

The group of warriors approached the Korok Forest within hours, mounting off their horses. Impa immediately took action, as the bossy woman always did. "OK, Link and I will accompany the princess and go this direction," she pointed forwards. "Mipha and (Y/N), go left. Urbosa, Daruk, and Revali go right. I need you to help the outposts from being overtaken while we go to the sword that seals the darkness."