Chapter Five

It had been close to a week since (Y/N) had arrived in Kakariko Village, he was currently helping the local farmer, Olkin, with his pumpkin field. Soon, all of the pumpkins were harvested and ready to be sold off. "Thank you for helping me, Lord (Y/N), you can take this fortified pumpkin as a token of my thanks. It works great in soups."

(Y/N) took the man's offering and gave a big smile, "You don't have to do that, I'm only doing my duty. But thank you greatly, because I'm starved."

The boy ran off to the fire where the cooking fires are, crouching down next to Koko by the pan, eager for lunch at last. "What are you going to make, Lord (Y/N)?" Koko asked, her eyes shining with curiosity.

"I'm going to make some pumpkin stew, would you like to help?" (Y/N) reached into his bag to get out milk, butter, and wheat.

"Yes yes yes! You can help me be a great chef like mother and make meals for Cottla, right?" She jumped around in excitement.

(Y/N) let out a chuckle, "I'll try my best." He began to make the stew, instructing Koko on how to do it as he went along, and letting her help when he saw needed. "You're doing amazing Koko, Cottla will love it." (Y/N) pat Koko's head in approval. The little girl had a grin that went from ear to ear as she poured more milk into the pan, proud of her work.

Just then, a familiar color of blond caught (Y/N)'s eye. There was no question on who it could be, almost all Shekiah have white hair. "Koko, you continue stirring this, I'll be right back." (Y/N) sprinted as fast as he could to the entrance of the village. "Link! Link! You're finally here! I missed you so much! I just made some stew if you're hungry! I can't believe you're OK!" (Y/N) engulfed the smaller boy into a hug while rambling, not being able to contain his excitement. He let all of his anxieties drown away in the happiness of seeing his love again.

Link harshly pushed (Y/N) off of him, and to the ground. (Y/N) looked up at the knight in shock and horror, but then he saw Link's eyes. They were empty and blank, with no emotion behind them. This wasn't normal. As much as Link tried to seem neutral, (Y/N) could always see past the guard he put up, but no more. "Link?" His voice wavered with uncertainty.

"Who are you?"

(Y/N) couldn't take it, he let a tear fall down his face, then another, and another. He was a pathetic sight, but he couldn't help it. All the hope he had been holding onto has been crushed, as the man he loves the most doesn't even remember him. After a few moments, he collected himself, realizing he has to be strong. This is bigger than him, this is about Hyrule. He took a deep breath to collect himself. "I'm (Y/N)." He got up, not letting himself look back, "follow me, Impa is this way."

The silence that was used to feel comfortable between them was the most awkward and nauseating thing (Y/N) had ever experienced. His anxieties swirled around in his head, taking over his mind, as much as he tried to bottle his emotions, they kept threatening to bubble on the surface.

"I see. So he has lost his memories. How peculiar, considering you didn't and it was the same technology." Impa mused after (Y/N) had told her what was going on. "It is sure to be something that comes back with time. For now, I will tell you what you need to do, hero." Link's eyes were steady, unwavering, but full of uncertainty and confusion. He had forgotten everything and it was sprung on him that he has to save the whole kingdom.

(Y/N) spaced off from Impa's story, and found himself staring at the hero before him. It was different from when he would admire Link before, adoring his beauty, grace, and dignity. Now he was reanalyzing the boy; he was a shell of a man, not knowing anything around him, feeling like he was seeing everyone for the first time. Despite this, his bravery was just as strong as before. That's not something that can ever change, it was in his blood, and radiating off of him, for everyone to shiver by the sheer amount of valor that such a small boy could have. It was the courage of a warrior, he was truly blessed by the goddess Farore.

"I assume you will head out to Hateno Village tomorrow morning? It's far too late in the day to start a journey." Link let out a curt nod at Lady Impa. "(Y/N)?"

"Huh? What?" (Y/N) moved his attention towards Impa, flushed from the embarrassment of getting called out.

"Accompany Link on his journey. He surely can't do this on his own with all of his memories gone."

"Of course, sister, I planned on doing so whether he agreed or not." Though he was facing Impa, (Y/N) could feel the cold stare from Link baring into his back, he hadn't made the best impression. "There's still lunch if you'd like it." His eyes were pleading to Link to give him another chance. "Maybe I can help jog your memory."

"Don't rush it, (N/N). It'll come back in time," Impa interjected. She shooed her hands at the two boys. "Now go eat lunch, Link. You both have a lot to talk about." She earned a glare at the last part before they both left to where the soup was simmering.

"Lord (Y/N)! You were gone so long! I almost ate all the soup!" The girl then saw Link. "Who are you mister? Do you want to help me cook, too?"

"This is Link, he's, um, a friend of mine and Lady Impa's. He just wants to join us for lunch." Link gave a nod of affirmation.

"I already ate lunch, I'm gonna go play now! Wanna play with me once you're done, Lord (Y/N)?"

(Y/N) beamed, "I have a lot to do, but I'll try my best to make some time for you." Koko beamed with excitement to have an older person play with her. "And just call me (Y/N), Koko."

"OK (Y/N)! See you later!" She waved her arms furiously to say goodbye before running off. He waved back, chuckling at the girl's endless energy.

Link handed a bowl of stew to (Y/N). "Oh, thanks Link," he softly smiled at the quiet knight.

"No problem," he mumbled, mouth full of soup.

The awkwardness began to take over the two of them as they slurped their soup. "Do you really not remember anything?" (Y/N) suddenly said.

Link shook his head, "Nothing."

"Well, is there anything you want to know?"

"Yeah," Link looked up at (Y/N), eyes shining with curiosity, "what are you to me?"

(Y/N) didn't know it was possible for his face to go as red as it did, it felt as if it was on fire. He put his arm over his face to try and hide it, before covering it with a cough then continuing, "We've been best friends ever since we were little. We grew up in the castle together." He couldn't say that they had just confessed their love right before the Calamity came upon them. It would be too much. (Y/N) put his bowl on the ground, then hugged his knees into his chest, to comfort himself.

"Oh. I guess that makes sense." Link focused his gaze down to the floor, his long hair falling in front of his face, head hanging down in shame. "Sorry for forgetting you."

"Link..." (Y/N) moved next to him, placing a friendly hand on his shoulder. "Don't apologize for something you can't control, OK? I know you don't remember, but I've told you this more times than I can count." (Y/N) gave him a weak smile, "You'll get your memory back soon. Until then we can focus on our mission."

Link fixed his posture, "You're right. I can't be selfish right now."

"Well, I wouldn't call it selfish, but it's just not something we can fix at the moment."

"Regardless," Link stood up, lending a hand out to help up (Y/N), "I have to be strong and push forward."

"There's the Link I know." (Y/N) yelped a bit in surprise at the sheer strength Link had when pulling him up. He awkwardly laughed it off. "I guess I'll show you around now, so you don't have to wander around like a lost puppy."