Chapter Four

"(Y/N), wake up." A soft voice called out to him. He slowly opened his eyes, taking in the strange surroundings around him. It was a cave of some sort, with Shekiah technology lighting up the darkness. He lay in a small pool of cool water, with nothing but shorts on.

"Where am I?" (Y/N) began to get up, his body aching.

"You are at one of the Shrines of Resurrection. After you almost died saving Link, we took you here."

Confusion overtook the teenager, standing up to study the technology that supposedly saved him. "Zelda is that you, where are you? Where's Link, is he OK?" He rapidly turned his head around, trying to find where her voice was coming from.

The voice of Zelda didn't answer, so the boy continued on, desperate to get answers. Outside of the cave, the light blinded him, causing him to stagger backward, (Y/N) waited until he adjusted. Once he could see, his eyes immediately went to the Hyrule Castle. A purple light was swirling around it, the familiar purple made his stomach immediately drop.

"They couldn't defeat him. We weren't strong enough." He swallowed his tears looking at the menacing castle that once looked so grand and inviting, and a place he called home. The whole kingdom of Hyrule was in disarray, what happened? How long had he been in the Shrine of Resurrection? The boy ran to where he knew the nearest stable was. He wouldn't be able to ride his trusty horse, but he needed to go to the one place where he could get answers, and fast.

(Y/N) got weird looks from the people at Riverside stable when he arrived. A young boy with messy (H/C) hair and only shorts on running at full speed towards the stable wasn't a common sight.

"Please... I... need a... horse." (Y/N) sputtered out, completely out of breath.

"We don't sell horses here. But you can get one registered here! There's a field right behind you where there are lots of wild horses. Want any help on how to tame one?"

"No." The royal advisor said plainly before walking away, confident enough in his horse-taming skills.

He wasn't wrong to be confident, as he came mere minutes later, riding on the back of a horse. "Wow, sir, you certainly are impressive!"

(Y/N) gave a small smile. "I just wanna register her then head out. Her name is (H/N)."

"That'll be 20 rupees." The attendant saw the frown on the other's face when he mentioned the price, it was clear he had little to no money from his state. "I'll make you a deal. Just this once it'll be on the house, OK? Just make sure to keep her safe for me."

"Thank you so much! I will!" Not wasting any time, the boy headed off to his destination. It was less than a day's trip to his hometown, Kakariko Village, he only hoped he didn't run into any monsters, as he had little defense and his body felt too sore to fight.

When night came, the lanterns of the village shone bright, and it felt so familiar coming back to the small village of modest huts where his people resided. As much as he wanted to, he couldn't reminisce, he had things to do. (Y/N) charged to the largest house in the village, but the guards held him back.

"Let me go! I need to see my sister!"

"Your sister? You're far too young to be Lady Impa's brother." The guard contemplated for a moment, while (Y/N) deadpanned at the two. one ran inside, presumably to talk to Impa, and quickly came back, his face red from embarrassment. "My apologies for our rudeness. Go right ahead in."

(Y/N) huffed and waltzed in, his mouth dropping wide open when he saw his sister. "I-Impa? What the hell happened?"

"100 years of aging, brother. Before your endless questions begin, let me explain. Come, sit with me." The 16-year-old sat next to his now 120-year-old sister, still in complete shock of the sight. "After you were in critical condition trying to save Link, we had no choice but to put you in a Shrine of Resurrection. Do you know how reckless it was trying to fight Calamity Ganon? I would lecture you more if I had the energy, I'm sure Purah will do that for you."

"Purah? Where's Purah?" (Y/N) interrupted.

"Let me finish what I was saying. Link is OK and at the other Shrine of Resurrection, waiting to be awakened and fulfill his destiny to stop the Calamity once and for all."

"So he's OK? Thank the goddesses." The younger paused for a moment, before continuing, "but why save me? I'm not part of the prophecy."

Impa let out a hearty laugh, "We all know that Link wouldn't be able to accomplish his destiny without you."

A blush appeared on (Y/N)'s face. All he cared for was that Link was safe, and now he only had to wait a short amount of time before he could be reunited with his love again, he felt blessed by the goddesses to have this saving grace.

"Before you go out on an adventure, why don't you wait for Link here? He should be here within days. Plus you can't go out without armor and a weapon anymore. Monsters have taken over Hyrule." (Y/N) nodded. "My granddaughter, Paya will show you to the armor and arrow store. I have your Kodachi still with me."

A girl appeared, around the same age as (Y/N), the spitting image of young Impa. "Wow, I could mistake you for my sister if I didn't see her first."

Paya looked down due to shyness before beginning to walk out the door. "The armor store is this way." Her quiet voice whispered out.

(Y/N) felt much better suited in Shekiah armor, a bow on his back, and his Kodachi sheathed by his hip, where it belonged. All he had to do now was wait for Link.

"(N/N), tomorrow do you think you could help Paya with the errands? There's a lot to do in the house, and I figured you could help around in the village. I can imagine you're eager to explore."

"I'd love to Impa. Anything to help a wise old woman."

Impa gave her brother a small glare, but a small smile was seen on her face, showing she was amused. "Paya should be done with dinner in a moment. We don't have an extra bed, I'll see that she shows you to the inn, and you can come back in the morning."
"I see, thanks for accommodating me, even though you're obligated to as my sister."

During dinnertime, the siblings enjoyed being in each other's presence once again, bantering as if no time had passed. It had, but only for one of the two, anyways.

"Goodnight (N/N), I'll see you tomorrow." They hugged one another before they parted.

Paya came to wake (Y/N) at 5 AM sharp to get started on daily chores. Impa knew how to work someone hard, but that wasn't a new thing to the 16-year-old. (Y/N) ran around the village all day, meeting just about everyone. It felt good to be doing something again, getting his mind off of Link. When the day came to an end, he collapsed next to the traveling painter, Pikango, watching the white-haired man paint away as the sun fell in the sky.