Chapter 1

Ember's POV

"Finally, I need this road trip," Cass exclaimed as she closed the trunk of my Chevy. Her blonde hair was curled, framing her face with her green eyes prominent and radiating their usual joy. Cass's smaller in size but the muscular build doesn't take away from the inner beauty that even outshines her outer beauty.

"You and me both," was my reply as I settled into the driver's seat. I adjust the review mirror to look at my big brown eyes and natural dark brown curls against my bare olive-skinned shoulders. Cass and I had been planning this trip for months. Needing a break from St. Louis, we decided to take a few days to drive down to Texas to visit a few small towns.

Cass and I met five years ago when I moved to St. Louis for my job. When we met, we just had an instant connection. She's a few years younger than me at 27, while I am 30, but we have a bond that would not easily be broken. Cass grew up in St. Louis, never really imagining leaving, and she was a nurse for a children's hospital. Whereas I had grown up living all over, I was still like tumbleweed blowing wherever the wind would take me. Lately, it had felt like the wind had been trying to take me somewhere else again, but I wasn't sure where.

"All right, Ember, ready to hit the road?" Cass asks me. I smile and nod at her while I start the car up. Immediately a country song comes on through the speakers. We both smile before we begin to sing along like always.

We drove all day before we stopped for the night in Tyler, Texas. We took our time getting up the following day because we'd heard of this bar's great burgers from a few locals. It wasn't too far out of town, so we thought we'd stop there for lunch before we continued our way to Waco.

We instantly knew it was a biker bar pulling up to the bar. Cass gave me a look that told me she wasn't too sure about this. "Come on; it will be fine. We'll eat, have a beer, and be on our way. What could go wrong?" Looking back, I may have been a little too confident. I gave her my brightest smile to reassure her, and we headed into the bar.

The bar was dark, but most patrons seemed to be in good spirits and friendly, except for one table in the corner filled with some rough-looking men. Looking at Cass, I could see she noticed them too, so I steered her towards the furthest bar section from them as we took our seats.
            I ordered a beer to go with my burger while Cass ordered water to go with hers. Typical Cass, she never drinks anymore, so I'm not surprised. We start a conversation with the bartender as he asks us where we're from and where we're going.

"How about you two bitches come join our table over in the corner," I hear a rough voice say. Cass and I turn around to see a couple of the guys from the group at the corner table standing in front of us, looking at us like we are a piece of meat. I cannot help but roll my eyes at that. "No thanks, we're good right here," I reply to the man in front of me.

"You're a little fatter than I like, but I'd still give you a ride," was his charming reply to me. Sir, I'm chubby, not fat. Isn't that generous of you greasy-haired, yellowing teeth, and beer-bellied sir. I peer over at Cass and can tell she is extremely uncomfortable with the men in front of her undressing her with their eyes.

"Look, I told you nicely, but you didn't seem to understand that no means no. So now I'll say it not so nicely, Fuck Off." I say with the sweetest smile I can muster. Before I could blink, Cass was yanked away from the bar into the arms of one of the bikers. "Come on; baby, you gonna let your fat friend do all the talking for you? I know you want it." He says to Cass while gripping her butt and grinding his hips into hers. I see red and go to punch the guy holding Cass hostage. While my fist flies out, another of the bikers catches my wrist and yanks me to him. "Ooooh, feisty. I like them with a little fight in them." He said before he licked up the side of my neck. Gross, and I just showered. "Just let us go," Cass cries out, trying to sound confident, but I can hear the fear in her voice.

Suddenly a booming baritone voice calls out, "What the fuck do you think you're doing!"

Hawk's POV

It felt great to be back out on the open road with my brothers behind me. My name is Hawk. I'm the president of the Blood & Bones MC out of Tyler, Texas. My grandfather started this club, and it was something to be proud of how they protected the town. My dad had taken it down a dark road getting it mixed up in gun-running and other illegal activities. After he died when I was 22, I stepped up to take over as President and began to take us towards the more legal side of the law. We are still an MC, and not everything can be on the up and up. More than a fair share of the people who have crossed us over the ten years of reign as president has been known to go "missing." Among other things that we do that the law might not agree with, we do what we have to do to keep our club safe at the end of the day. After I took over and started taking us back towards a more legal path, some of the members decided to branch off, preferring the direction my dad had taken the club. They became the Devil's Runners MC, and they are the ones that give us the most trouble. 

It had been too long since we last did a ride together. I looked over my shoulder at a couple of my club brothers who had a club on the back of their bikes. Shaking my head, I turn back around to face the open road. Only a few of the old-timers had old ladies. None of us "Young Bucks," as they like to call us. As they want to contact us, none of us "Young Bucks" have settled down yet. The back of your bike is only meant to have your old lady on it. I am not looking to settle down at all, but the back of your bike is a sacred place.

Seeing our first stop, I signal to my VP Gage that we are about to stop, and he signals to the rest of our brothers. We pull up to a biker bar on neutral territory called Rowdy's that we had planned ahead of time to stop at for lunch.

Hopping off my bike, I feel nails digging into my arm. Looking down, I see Cherry, a clubwhore that had managed to finagle her way onto the back of Screw's bike for the ride. She's smiling up at me so that I'm sure she thinks she is seductive, but all I see when I look at her is the number of guys she has taken her. She's one of the girls who get around the most in our club, but I have never slept with her though it doesn't stop her from constantly trying to get in my bed in her quest to become an old lady. She thinks being a clubwhore would ever earn her an old lady patch is beyond me. "You'd look mighty lonely on that bike. Why don't you and I go back and have a little fun while the others head inside." Cherry looks up at me while batting her eyelashes and rubbing her hand up and down my arm.

I firmly grip her wrist and pull her off of me. "Cherry, how often do I have to tell you no!" I tell her, clearly annoyed. Take the not-so-subtle hints of me telling you no every time you ask. She pouts at me before walking away towards the other two clubwhores who somehow talked into this ride.

Screw and Buster walk up to me as some of the other brothers start to go inside. "Why would you bring her along on this ride with you?" I ask Screw. "Man, I thought she'd behave, and I'd get some on the back of my back of my bike at some point." He sighed, rubbing a hand down his face. Buster just laughed, "I think you thought Cherry would behave whenever the Prez is around with the wrong head. She's always trying to sniff around him, looking for a way into his bed."

"Come on, let's just go in and get some food," I finally say to them. As we're walking into the bar, I am met with a sight I did not want to see. One of the most beautiful women I have ever seen being held by a Devil's Runner as he takes his tongue up the side of her neck. I could tell she did not want this to be happening to her by the look on her face. Another DR next to them held onto another woman who looked frightened as she whispered something to the men that I couldn't catch. Gritting my teeth and clenching my fists, I finally yell out, "What the fuck do you think you're doing!"