XXXIV

The soldiers were still slowly walking towards me.

In desperation I threw them the gray briefcase I had carried with me.

-Do you recognize that?!
-It's from your boss! -I shouted, my voice cracking.

They stopped for a moment.
One of them pointed a gun at me, only to lower it seconds later when he realized how stupid he had been.

I heard footsteps behind the door.

My hands were shaking under the weight of the gun and my legs were ready to give out at any moment.

But I stood my ground, with a defiant look on my face.

The footsteps gave way to a faint hiss and then... silence.

My brain was working overtime trying to find a way out of this situation.
But no matter how much I thought about it over and over again it was not possible.

They took a step towards me slowly.

"STAY BA-"

I was interrupted by the abrupt explosion of the door behind me.

I lost my balance and fell to the ground, the weapon in my hands lost in the debris and dust that the explosion had scattered.

My ears ringing and my vision became blurred due to the trickle of blood coming from my forehead.
I tried to get up but my body was unresponsive.
I was trapped under something very heavy.

-CONTACT!

I had no choice but to lie still and watch the foundation soldiers and the Russian army shot at each other.

The loud ringing in my ears prevented me from hearing the rifles firing, I only saw the bright muzzle flashes.

I was able to stay conscious for the entire encounter, and when they finished firing they approached the dying Russian soldiers and finished them off with a shot to the head.

I tried screaming for help, but my body was ready to give up.

___________________________________________

The anomaly ran down the dark corridors in search of Quentin, but she couldn't see nothing more but dead soldier bodies.
She didn't need a flashlight to see well in the dark, her eyes were all she needed to find him.

She felt a knot form in her stomach.
She feared she might find him, lifeless on the floor.

She wouldn't allow it.

She ran as fast as she could while wearing the heavy armor of the foundation soldiers.
She was also armed with a Colt, a weapon that had been reluctantly handed to her by a soldier thanks to 682's convincing skills.

She was afraid to use it but wouldn't hesitate to do so if it meant saving Quentin.

Her ears perked up as she heard a loud sound coming from a nearby hallway.

She was surprised to see the hallway completely destroyed, filled with debris and the heavy steel door on the floor.

She found nothing but dead bodies and a strong smell of sulfur and gunpowder.

She saw something in the corner of her eye move and she quickly pointed her gun towards it with trembling hands.

-WHA-

Was there a hand under the door?
She quickly crouched down and moved away the door with both hands.
There was...

There was someone under the door!

She recognized him by curly hair almost instantly, it was the person she had been looking for all this time.
The person for whom he would give her life and so much more.

She carefully lifted him off the floor and leaned him against the wall.

He was not conscious.
She wasn't sure if he was still breathing.

The anomaly panicked and tears welled up from her eyesockets.

-Quentin!

-Can you hear me?
-It's Mal0!
-Wake up.
-Everything is all right now.

-Please wake up.

Using the sleeve of her uniform she wiped some of the dirt and blood from the boy's face.

She began to worry when he saw that the boy was still unresponsive.
She took him by the arms and went back from where he had come in.

She had to get him to safety.

____________________________________________

As much as she could see in the dark she couldn't remember the way back.
Especially when she ran blindly though the whole base.

Her vision blurred by tears didn't help her get orientate any better.

Her ears perked up again as she heard a distant sound of footsteps.

She left the limp boy on the ground and turned around.

She could see a silhouette standing in complete darkness.

-Wow.
-The little dog sniffed me. -Said a female voice.

Concentrating on the blurry silhouette she could make out a few more details.

Like her white lab coat.
Or her blond hair.
Or the gun she was holding in her hand.

-Stay away from the walker. -She said in a firm voice.
She approached taking slow steps until the distance between them was just under five meters.

-I won't repeat it again. -She said while pointing the gun at the anomaly's skull.

-Why are you doing this? -Asked Mal0 holding the boy's hand.

-Not your problem.

The anomaly rose from the ground and its height difference became noticeable, she was almost a head taller than the scientist.

The anomaly tried to pull the gun out of her holster, but the scientist quickly found out.

-Throw your gun here, or it won't end well for you.

The woman fired at the ground to draw attention to the anomaly.
The bullet landed inches apart from Quentin's legs.

Mal0 grabbed the gun and tossed it halfway the distance between them.

-Good.
-Now leave the damn kid alone and get out of here.

-Quentin has taught me so much.
-He taught me to love.
-He taught me to love the humanity that once imprisoned me.
-I won't let you take him again!

The anomaly ran towards the woman, but she quickly pointed her gun fired at her skull.
The bullet hit its target, but the beast did not stop running towards her.

With one swipe of her claws it sent her weapon flying into the darkness.
She grabbed her by the neck with her hand and slammed her violently against the wall, choking her a few inches off the ground.

The woman tried to kick and spit at her but couldn't break free from her steel grip.
Without realizing it, her sharp claws began to dig into her thin neck, threatening to cut a vein and ready to kill.

It took only a few moments for her to lose consciousness and pass out from lack of air.

The anomaly threw her limp body away as if it were garbage.

She ran back to her friend and started to carry him again, only to notice the dark red blood sliding down her claws.
She quickly wiped them on her uniform and continued.

-I won't let them hurt you anymore.

_____________________________________________

Still learning english, so I'd appreciate if you could point out typos or hard to read sentences.

Thank you for reading!!!