XLIII

[BEEP]
[BEEP]

[BEEP]
[BEEP]

It felt weird, having to wake up for school after being away for so long.

I thought I was never going to be able to go back to my everyday life, but here I am.

(Well, I do deserve five more minutes...) -I thought as I tilted my head to the side and closed my eyes again.

-Quentin! -A robotic voice shouted through my phone.
-You should get up, you wouldn't want to be late for your first day of school....
-Well... not your first day, but still..

-Let me sleep... -I mumbled as I pulled the blanket over me.

The sound of the alarm went off again, this time much louder, almost making me jump from the bed.

-Fine I'm waking up!
-...
-Turn it off!

_____________________________________________

With half my brain still off I managed to make two cups of coffee.

I sat next to Mal0 in the living room as we had coffee and some cookies for breakfast.

-Mal0, do you have any idea of an excuse I could make?

-Excuses? For what? -She asked, confused.

-I can't miss almost three months of class and just come back one day as if nothing happened.

-Oh, I forgot about that.
-Although I don't think the foundation missed something that important.

-I guess...

-Mhm! -She replied as she used her tendril-like tongue to take a cookie out of the box.

-...
-Don't do that, please...

___________________________________________

To be walking around without hundreds of soldiers and scientists surrounding me and taking notes felt strange.

I was walking relaxed observing every detail about the streets of my completely bland neighborhood.

(Had that store always been there?)
(Well, never mind.)

-Quentin. -A voice ringed through my earphones.
-I'll remind you that you are five minutes away from being late.

(Agh, maybe I'm walking a little too relaxed.)

I picked up my pace and jogged towards the school entrance, being late after several months was definitely not a good idea.

_______________________________________

As I climbed the stairs no one noticed me, which highlighted how much they cared about me.

Or at least until I entered the classroom.

I was one of the last to enter, due to my lousy physical condition.
The second I walked in all eyes focused on me.

-Quentin! -The teacher exclaimed, pointing at me.

-Late again?
-Go to your seat. -He said, pointing to a desk on the last row.

I was expecting more than just a simple scolding, and apparently so was the rest of the room, as they stared at me as I walked between the seats until I found mine.

A girl was sitting at the other end of the table, she looked somewhat familiar but I couldn't quite recognize her.

Although the static in my headset told me that Mal0 knew something I didn't.