The Vanishing of Will Byers (Part 5)

The girls sat on the counter as Benny finished washing the dishes. Eleven held a big tub of ice cream that had two spoons in it. Eleven was happily eating away at the ice cream while Nine ate small bites, little by little. Still, even if it wasn't very much, Benny was happy to finally get her to eat something.

"You two like that ice cream, huh?" Benny said happily, getting a smile from Eleven.

"Smile looks good on you." Benny said to Eleven which confused her and made her smile drop.

"You know, smile?" He said giving the two a smile. He watched as Eleven's smile reappeared on her face followed by a small smile from Nine. But as fast as that smile appeared it disappeared with a sinking feeling in her chest. Something was going to happen. Something bad. She knew it. But what?

Her thoughts were quickly interrupted by a loud knock at the door, making both of the girls jump. Nine's heart began racing faster than ever before. It terrified her. This only happened when she was going to an experiment back at the lab, and even then it wasn't this bad or lasted this long.

"All right. You two just sit tight." He said calmly noticing their demeanors change. "Who ever it is, I'll tell 'em to go away real quick, all right?"

They watched as he went to the door. Nine's heart began to race more than what she thought was possible. She began to take short, shallow breathes that didn't give her the oxygen she needed. All of it over whelmed her where tears started to prick her eyes. She turned to her sister on her left who was carefully watching Benny talk to someone at the door.

She tapped her sister on the hand, gaining her attention. Eleven's face immediately turned into worry as she took her sister's hand and squeezed it gently. Black spots started to cloud her vision until she felt her heart rate quickly return back to normal. A large gasp of air filled her lunges making all of the nerves and the spots in her eyesight go away.

Not even a second later, a gunshot was heard making both girls turned to the noise. They saw a lady, they both recognize from the lab, standing on the other side of the counter with a gun pointed where Benny's falling body used to stand.

Eleven, thinking fast on her feet, jumped up from the spot she was sitting and grabbed her sister's hand. The two ran towards the door they entered in but was quickly blocked off by two men standing in their way. Eleven, once again thinking fast on her feet, attacked them with her powers leaving the men on the floor and the girls enough time to get away.

***

The boys road up to Mirkwood on their bikes and stopped when they came across police tape.

"Ah, man." Lucas said. "This is it."

The boys looked at the tape worriedly, but their nerves didn't stop them. Mike and Lucas got off their bikes leaving Dustin to turn his face up to the dark night sky.

"Hey, guys. You feel that." Dustin said worriedly. Rain drop on him. "I think maybe we should go back.

"No." Mike shut him down quickly. "We're not going back. Just stay close. Come on."

They walked to the woods leaving Dustin behind.

"Just stay on channel six." Mike informed. "Don't do anything stupid."

"Hey, guys, wait up." Dustin called after them. "Wait up!"

After a few minutes of searching the rain started to pick up, making the boys put up their hoods to try to shield them.

"Will!" Mike called out. "Will!"

"Byers!" Lucas joined in.

"I've got your X-Men 134!" Dustin shouted. "Guys, I really think we should turn back."

"Seriously, Dustin?" Lucas said in disbelief of his friend. "You wanna be a baby, then go home already!"

"I'm just being realistic, Lucas!" Dustin snapped back.

Mike started to slow down and look around because he thought he heard something.

"No, you're just being a big sissy!" Lucas retaliated.

"Did you ever think Will went missing because he ran into something bad?" Dustin pointed out. "And we're going to the exact same spot where he was last seen? And we have no weapons or anything?"

Mike stopped. "Dustin, shut up."

"Im just saying, does that seem smart to you?"

"Shut up. Shut up."

A loud rustling shut both boys up from their previous argument.

"Did you guys hear that?"

Another loud rustling made the boys jump and turn their flashlights to an empty woods. And another noise made them turn the other direction and point their flashlights at two unfamiliar girls. The girls were terrified by the bright lights and Eleven stood in front of Nine to protect her. The boys stood still with their flashlights in hand, watching the two girls.

They found something. Just not Will.