The Weirdos on Maple Street (Part 3)

Mike slammed down a Yoda figurine on his table showing it off to El, who was the only one remotely paying attention. Meanwhile, Nikki was looking through his bookshelf at all of the books that looked like the just had scribbles on them. The trio found themselves in Mike's room after he showed them around the kitchen and dining room, which they both weren't super impressed with.

"Ready are you? What knows you of ready?" Mike asked mimicking Yoda's voice but confusing both of the girls in the process. Nikki turned to him with looked that said, 'are you crazy'. She barely understood him before, but now she didn't know any of the gibberish coming out of his mouth. "His name's Yoda. He can use the Force to move things with his mind, like this."

Mike pushed his hands against the figures on the table making some of them fall off. Nikki rolled her eyes and turned back to the books before feeling the sinking in her stomach once again. It wasn't as bad as it was at Benny's, but it was definitely enough to make her uncomfortable.

El rolled her eyes also and got up from her spot next to Mike.

"Oh, this is my dinosaur, Rory." Mike said not noticing he was talking to no one. "Look, he has a speaker in his mouth so he can roar." Finally, Mike looked up and saw El looking over bunch of his trophies.

He was quick to join her and explain everything she was looking at. "Oh, these are all my science fair trophies. We got every year. Except for last year when we got third. Mr. Clarke said it was totally political."

Nikki felt her stomach drop even more as she watched her sister point to something in a photo. She walked towards the two and saw she was pointing to a boy. One she hadn't met yet.

"You know Will?" Mike asked El who still stared at the photo. "Did you see him? Last night? On the road?" He looked over at Nikki, who was pale in the face and her expression was almost angry or maybe she was trying to solve the riddle herself.

The sound of a vehicle turning in the driveway brought the tension out of the air and Nikki's stomach back to normal. Mike ran over to the window to see a familiar car approaching.

"We gotta go." Mike said racing back across his room and grabbing El and Nikki's wrist and led them down the stairs. The group of three quickly came to a stop, however, seeing Karen already stepping inside the house, to preoccupied to notice the two strangers in her house. Mike led them back up the stairs before his mom turned around.

"Ted?" Karen's voice rang through the house. "Is that you?"

"Just me, mom!" Mike shouted still running towards his room with the two girls in tow.

"Mike? What are you doing home?"

"One second!" He called back shutting his door and running over to the closet, opening it up. Both girls looked in the tiny room, El wondering what he wanted them to do and Nikki knowing exactly what he wanted them to do. Her breathing stared to become deeper as she tried to get rid of all the fear and terror building in her chest.

"In here." Mike demanded. "I'll be right back, okay?"

After a second of no movement from either of the girls, Mike resorted to begging. "Please, you have to get in, or my mom, she'll find you guys. Do you understand?" Mike's voice was laced with urgency. "I won't tell her about your two. I promise."

"Promise?" El asked unsure of the meaning of the word.

"It means something that you can't break. Ever." Mike explained quickly looking between the two girls.

"Micheal?" Karen called again.

"Please?" Mike begged again. El turned to her sister who had the look of pure terror on her face. Nikki shook her head quickly but was ignored as El grabbed her wrist, dragging her in with her. Before another word could be uttered, the door closed behind Nikki, leaving the two girls in spooky darkness.

Nikki watched as El backed herself into the wall and took a few deep breaths. Nikki looked around the closet a little bit until it felt as though the walls were caving in on her. She felt herself sink down to the ground with tears brimming her eyes and her breath shallow and shaky. All she could do was close her eyes and hope it would be over soon. But then again, when did she ever get what she wanted?

***

Nine sat alone in a cold, empty room that was locked from the outside. She huddled herself in the corner of the room trying to keep herself as far away from the door as possible.

She had just gotten done with an experiment with papa and the other doctors. This experiment was probably one of the worst ones she had ever needed to do. She had been tasked with taking away someone's, who had wronged the doctors, life. What he did to deserve this unforgivable punishment? She had no idea. What she did know, was that she couldn't do it.

She watched papa's face grow stern and angry as he motioned for one of the doctors to complete the task for her. She watched helplessly as the doctor grabbed a gun that was on his person and pulled trigger without a second thought.

That was the major difference between Eleven and Nine. Nine had seen papa's wrath in many occasions. Meanwhile, Eleven had never seen papa kill, let alone harm, anyone else in front of her. Still, Eleven will always understand that her sister has seen more and didn't need anything else to happen to her. That was why Eleven was always so protective of her and why Nine was always on edge and jumpy.

"No! No!" A familiar voice pulled her from her flashbacks.

Nine stood up getting ready to comfort her sister, who's voice was getting closer with every protest coming out of her mouth. It didn't take long until the door swung open and her sister's body getting tossed in. As the door closes Nine ran up to her and wrapped her in her arms, wanting and hoping for both of them to be okay and to get out of here together.

***

"Eleven? Nine?" Mike voiced called out to the girls. "Is everything okay? El? Nikki?"

He opened the closet door to see the sisters with their arms wrapped around each other. Both of them looked at him with relief and tears in their eyes.

"Mike." Eleven said.

"Is everything okay?" He asked the two girls who nodded in response. "Are you sure?"

Both of them nodded again.

"Promise." El whispered.

Authors Note
Thank you guys for reading!

Love ya!! ❤️❤️❤️