Chapter 10: Where it All Went Wrong

The ship came closer and closer towards the planet. Finn was nervous but Poe stood behind him and that made him feel better.

He didn't know what he'd find when they landed but he did know that he was ready to fight to the death to save his best friend.

"When we land, we need to be prepared for anything." Poe said to the small group and into the com, "For all we know, he could have Rey mind controlled to fight against us, and that would be a big issue."

"What if she's dead?" A rebel, Poe didn't know his name, asked.

"She's not." Finn cut in, refusing to believe or even think that for a fraction of a second, "She can't be."

"We are not going to think that way." Poe said, putting his hand on Finn's shoulder, "We are going to stick with the assumption that she's alive and go from there."

"What about Kylo Ren? Should we kill him of take him prisoner?" One of Zori's crew members asked.

"Take him prisoner." Poe said, "We can't let him survive, but he will answer for his crimes against the galaxy via a publicly broadcasted execution."

"But," Finn added, "show no mercy. If necessary, take him out."

"Preparing to land." Finn heard the pilot in the front say, "Everyone get ready."

Finn felt his fear rising. His hands started shaking and he had to put his blaster down for fear of accidentally setting it off.

What if she was gone?

He couldn't loose Rey, not yet.

"Hey." Poe said to Finn gently, "It's going to be alright. We'll get her back."

There was something about Poe's voice that always calmed Finn down. There could be a thousand TIE fighters outside but as long a Poe was there, everything would be ok.

"Thanks." Finn said, smiling at Poe, "You always know what to say."

——————

"Ok, Don't panic. I'll figure this out." Rey said, seeing the clearly visible fear in Ben's eyes, "They're my friends. I'll just explain to them what's going on and I'm sure they'll get it."

But even as she spoke her plan, she knew it was bad.

They wouldn't believe her.

The little things she could see that made Ben, Ben, they wouldn't see.

"Come on Rey, you know that won't work." Ben said, "They'll take one look at us, grab you, and kill me. And how am I supposed to defend myself, you know I'm perfectly cable of well...you know, but I'm not going to do that, so what am I supposed to do, stand there let them kill me?"

"Of course not," Rey said, putting out the rest of the fire and picking up the blanket. "I'm not going to let them kill you. You are not going to die. I will handle this."

"She took Ben's hands in her's and gently kissed him, "I promise, you're not going to die tonight."

Quietly she led Ben back to her hut and went in.

"Wait here." She whispered, "I'm going to go down and meet them and talk this out....You know what, I won't even mention you unless it gets down to it. I'll pretend that you're not here, but that means whatever you do, don't come out until I tell you."

Ben nodded and Rey left the hut, her heart racing.

She heard the sound of her friends' voices before she saw them. They sounded worried and upset.