Chapter 14

We kept running past each tree, I glanced up seeing the night sky retreating to the sunlight. Hollyshine hang in there! We'll be there soon... Behind me, Ravenpaw was struggling to keep up. I guess he must be tired, it wasn't until yesterday that he finally got up. Besides that, its really late and we've been walking for a long time.

        "Over here!" Ravenpaw sounded from behind me, leaping away into a feverfew bush. I tilted my head, hesitating to follow but did so anyway. "Where are we going?" I murmured, ducking my head before it hit a low hanging branch. "This is a short-cut to camp," Ravenpaw relied. Short-cut? There's a short-cut?! I sighed to myself, lifting my head again to see the dawn light seeping through the leaves and branches.

        We popped our heads from the plant, then wildily dashed back towards camp. I rose my head back to the sky once more. It was now dawn, not a star in the sky now. Dear Star Clan help us, were not going to make it back in time! Ravenpaw suddenly skidded to a halt. He lashed and curled his white-tipped tail, staring at a bramble. "Shh. I smell something... you go back to camp and get help..." Ravenpaw whispered, his black fur prickled on his neck and spine.

        "What do you scent...?" I softly murmured, staring towards the brambles he was gazing at. "Cats. They seem like rogues and their scent if faint, I'll check it out and you go back to camp..." Ravenpaw mumbled. I nodded. Ravenpaw, don't do something stupid like trying to fight off a pack of rogues, I don't want you to get hurt like that again. I turned around, darting towards the camp.

        Help Hollyshine, save Ravenpaw, check on Rainpelt and Nightstorm. Help Hollyshine, save Ravenpaw, check on Rainpelt and Nightstorm. I repeated in my head, spinning around to leap down the rock wall surrounding the camp. My eyes flew to the nursery, searching if Hollyshine was ok as I padded towards it.

        Many cats surrounded the nursery, each with a dull and sad face. "No..." I murmured to myself in shock. I was too late, wasn't I. I padded into the nursery, Froststorm was huddling the elder kits away from the scene making them face a wall in the back of the room. Hollyshine lied limply in  the middle of the den, three kits wailing next to her.

        "I'm too late..." I mumbled, staring at the black she-cat. Poor Hollyshine, how could have no one helpped her? "She's dead Spiderpaw..." Flamefeather mewed in sorrow, padding into the den to pick the kits away from their dead mother. "Star Clan warned me about this... and she still died..." I sighed, anger pecked at me. This cat died in the safest place in the camp.

        "At least her kits are all save," Froststorm mewed, her light pale grey tail firmily wrapped around the three kits. "Two toms, one she-cat, Hollyshine never got to name them. She said she would have liked a few to be named after plants and one a bird or so." Flaresplash stepped into the den and mewed.

        I just stood there in shock. Awaiting the next awful thing to happen. "Help! Sorrelspots isn't breathing!!!" Swiftstripe yowled, rushing into the den. "What?!" I turned around and raced to the elders' den while Swiftstripe follow behind. My wooden leg creaked on the stone ground, running with it wasn't a wise idea but I had to get to Sorrelspots.

        I limped into the den. Sure enough, Sorrelspots lied in her nest seeming to be sleeping soundly. She wasn't making a sound, she was dead too. Great... Great. Great. Great. Great! "Sorrelspots no..." I mewed, wobbling towards her and toppling over. I got back up to sit down, tears build in my eyes. "She died in her sleep it seems..." I manged to wail out.  Star Clan why?!

        "She hunts with Star Clan now, she is with her family now..." Swiftstripe coughed. I turned to him, his face with pity for the elder. I sighed, picking myself up. "We'll bury her at nightfall with Hollyshine, can you get her to my den please?" I calmly asked, closing my eyes to try and hold back to tears. "Sure," the ginger tom rasped. He leaned down, clamping on her patched scruffy and hauling her out of the den. I watched, opening my eyes, as she was dragged around the small stream I had once fallen into the first day I woke up.