Chapter 16

"Spiderpaw can you get me something to eat? I'm starving, and all you do is eat! I caught a pigeon before, can you go get it for me before some hungry fool eats it?" Amberpaw snapped, shuffling up from her nest. I sighed, lashing my short tail and I padded away, Amberpaw can go get herself something to eat I don't care.

I limped down the trail, glancing up at the walls surrounding the camp. I'll just go get some more herbs, that way I can get out of the camp for a bit. I lunged at the wall and hauled myself up quickly. I cannot believe this used to be so difficult, and now even with this leg its easy. I scrambled to my paws and padded away at the ledge towards the forest.

I nimbly trotted down an old trail towards Sapphire Clan territory, scarlet and golden leaves fluttered down from the trees, silhouetted by the bright moon light. Lucky Ravenpaw, getting to go to the gathering... I sniffed the air, picking up a distinct smell. Acecard. He was here not so long ago, mere moments maybe even.

I spun around, my pale eyes filled with curiosity. All of the cats should be back at camp or at the gathering, right? I went back to inhale the scent, but a new fresh scent covered it. I could smell an elderly rabbit not so far away. There wasn't much prey left, maybe I could try and hunt it.

I dropped into a crouch, or the best one I could pull off with this leg and tail. I tried to shift my weight, but I just toppled over onto my branch leg in defeat. I don't understand how warrior and apprentices do this madness. I got up, my ears perked up at the sound of movement in the bracken.

I opened my mouth, the rabbit! It was running away! I leaped to my paws, and darted after it. It dashed under a gorse tunnel, I had to follow it. There wasn't much prey back in camp, and if I caught this maybe it would teach Amberpaw a leason not to yell at me. She couldn't hunt a pigeon without getting hurt, and I a three-legged med cat apprentice could.

I ducked under the gorse, its thorns raked down my back like a cat's claws. Never mind that, this rabbit would be worth it. I sprung out from the gorse, the rabbit had stopped and was only a rabbit leap away. As I flew through he air, I unsheathed my long claws. In a heart beat, the rabbit darted. I fell to the ground, hastily lifting myself back to my paws. I lost the rabbit, so close too.

I sat up, lapping at my right paw black as the night sky. Shame, that rabbit would have showed Amberpaw and the clan how much more useful I really was. Panting, I picked up Acecard's scent again. Clear as a green-leaf sky on a warm sunny day, a day that now seemed so far and distant. Acecard was near by. That wasn't the only scent. I could smell blood and Lightpaw too.

I leaped towards the scent, limping as I landed. I peered into another clearing, and against a tree I could see Lightpaw, limp and cold smeared with dark red blood. "Lightpaw!" I wheezed, still out of breath. How could this happen!? She was taken by rogues so long ago, now she is freshly dead just laying there! I limped towards her frail ginger fur, sniffing her once joyful scent now. Now her fur was damp, matted in blood and wrenched. Her scent lurked with darkness, as if she was killed in cold blood.

"Lightpaw no..." I murmured, staring down at the slaughter she-cat. Her neck was torn open from its back, her paws gleamed with mud as the moon light reflected off them so calmly, claws sheathed and her blue eyes with shock. This was no battle, but a run for life and she was killed in a heart beat. Who had done this. Who?

"Spiderpaw, she's dead." I grim voice coughed behind me. I spun around, who ever had said that has been watching me and knew me. Could this be someone from my clan who had killed her? I unsheathed my claws, staring into the deep shadows of where the voice came from.