Chapter 20

"Here Bonestar, take these herbs," Ravenpaw mewed pushing over a pile of raspberry leaves. The dark leader glanced at him, then ate the herbs. I turned about back to the pile of herbs we had taken. I guess we were in such a rush we just took a bunch of random herbs...

        "Spiderpaw, can you get me some chervil?" he meowed, flicking his white tipped tail.

        "Sure," I quickly mumbled, picking up a small bundle of chervil. Or at least I think it was chervil. Ravenpaw then past the herbs to Bonestar, who was hissing and staring at the herbs as if they were a pack of wolves attacking camp.

        "Bonestar eat the herbs," Ravenpaw mewed, his voice cracked with uncertainty.

        "Fine, fine." She spat, I recoiled at the harsh tone, echoing off the jagged walls of the leader's den. Bonestar pecked at the herbs, leaving a few bits left. Ravenpaw sighed, turned around and started pacing around the bundle of herbs we had brought here. Something was wrong, what are we to do now? We gave her the herbs, now what? I just sat next to the herbs staring at Bonestar, unsure of what was to do now.

        "Agh- one of you little furballs get me a stick will you!" Bonestar spat, her black fur bristled. I nodded and glanced around the den, no sticks anywhere. Ravenpaw turned back to me, he seemed like he was about to say something. The next second, Nightstar trotted into the den. His right eye was all sore still from the wound a while ago, the skin around it was pulled and tore badly. It didn't seem like he could open it. He lashed his head around, staring down at me and Ravenpaw.

        "Bonestar, what is going on?" Nightstar asked, his deep blue eye gleamed as he spoke. I flattened my ears against my head, ready to hear Bonestar yowling at the top of her lungs again and then hearing the echo repeat it over and over again. Only to hear her purr: I am having kits, help these two idiots now please.

        He dipped his head and circled the pile of herbs. He lifted his head and stared at us. "She needs a stick to bite on, since there seems to be none here, Spiderpaw give me your leg," Nightstar muttered.

        "I need that leg to walk thank you very much! Why can't you go get a stick while we watch her?" I retorted, fluffing my fur out and leaping to my paws. Nightstar wasn't much taller than me now, standing right in front of him I could see his eyes without tilting my head skyward. He bared his fangs, white as snow and sharper than brambles. He stared at me, narrowing his eyes and drawing his lips into a snarl. I sat back down with a sigh and bit off the ivy vines holding the branch leg I had. "Fine, I'll just get a better stick then." I mumbled.

        Nightstar picked up the stick without a word and dropped it in front of Bonestar. She bit into the stick, I'm surprised it didn't snap in half like the other one I had when I was running away from the wolf.

                  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *  ~  *

        "That was the last one Bonestar, congrats on two great kits." Nightstar mewed, taking a pale grey tabby kit that I had been cleaning. He placed the kit next to the other which was huddling next to Bonestar. That went easier than I thought, I was pretty sure Bonestar was going to keep yowling but she was all quiet now, just cuddling her two little kits. I felt happy for her for some reason, despite everything that happened before.

        "Thank you Nighstar." Bonestar murmured, lapping at the two kits gently. And of course Nightstar is thanked, all he did was get my leg and hand it over to her, heck we even got the herbs and helped the kits! Nightstar nodded and trotted away, picking up the remaining herbs.

        "What are you going to name them?" Ravenpaw quietly mewed shyly, seeming unsure if he should talk. Bonestar shrugged,"Redstripe shall help me name them, Spiderpaw you can go get him."

        I nodded and struggled to my paws, trying to get up and walk normally. I just cannot walk without that stick helping me, and even with it is hard to stand. I manged to lift myself and and wobble to the mouth of the den before my back leg couldn't hold me up any more and fell under my own wieght. I twisted my head outside of the den, seeing Redstripe I flicked my ear signalling him to come in to see Bonestar.

        "Bonestar can see you now, come see your new kits," I purred, still sitting in place right outside the den. Redstripe nodded his head and bounded towards the den, his ginger pelt was a flash as he rushed inside. I turned around, Redstripe sat next to Bonestar and the two of them talked so softly, I couldn't hear what they said. Ravenpaw walked out of the den and placed down the stick next to me.

        "Bonestar said she thinks she'll name the she-cat Silentkit. Oh and here is your leg back," He mewed, chuckling.

        "Er, thanks." I meowed, picking the stick in my jaws and twisting my head to try and tie it back with the remaining ivy vine I had. I stood back up, I was crooked and the side where my branch-leg was uneven. At least I could stand up now I guess.

        "Anyway, I'll see you later Spiderpaw," Ravenpaw purred, nuzzling my fur before he leaped away.

        "Yea, see you later..." I sighed, glancing up at the sky. The sun was setting now, moon already rising. Looks like everything is peaceful now, I only hope this will last. Limping down the rocks of the leader's den, I glanced at the elders' den. A thought suddenly hit me. I never did check up on the elders when we went to go and check on the boarder! I padded towards the den, peering inside.

        "Eh, eheheh... Eheh eheheheh eh." A voice gurgled. I looked inside the den, a single cat stood inside it. The den suddenly then went pitch black, in a quiet floating like world. This was no longer the elders' den. This was a sign I was seeing. It must be.

        "Who are you?" I meowed, limping towards the voice. The cat turned around, its jaw hung open as a red substance dripped from its mouth. I leaped back a bit, the cat had no eyes. Just fur where its nose and eyes would be. Its coat was a pale grey, but then turned to a black pelt. Its jaw then dislodged from one side, hanging loosely on the right. Water poured from the cat's mouth, and a claw mark in the shape of a star was crossed out on its chest. I clenched my eyes shut. Not knowing what would happen next.

        "Beee-waar. Muu-s marrdie- iii ahed. Bee-wear. Theree ss-all alvaays bee marrness." The cat bubbled. The water blurred its voice, I opened my eyes and the darkness faded. The cat I had seen was gone now. I stared in front of me. A covered hole in the rock-dirt wall was dropping bits of pebbles onto the ground. I took a few steps back and high-tailed it out of that den. What did that cat mean?