Chapter 15

The next few days past by far too quickly like always it seems. Nightstorm's eye seemed badly wounded, but that didn't seem to bother him much at all. Today is the full moon, the gathering would be held shortly. I've heard about gatherings before, all the cats gather to talk in peace. That is as long as there's a full moon, hopefully there will be one and I'll get to go as well as Ravenpaw.

        I yawned, glancing around the camp from my seat right outside the med cat den. It was sun high now, most of the clan sat in clumps talking, eating, sleeping, playing, or grooming each other. I stretched, everything in camp seemed peaceful today. Ravenpaw and Bonestar had left the camp a while ago on a herb collecting trip, which was nice of her since I didn't really like going in the middle of the forest searching for herbs that might not even be there.

        Amberpaw was trotting towards me, her hind right leg was limping. Within the few days that have past, she was made an apprentice. I got back up, and beckoned her into the den turning around. Inside the med cat den, fresh herbs piled on the ledge of stone near the entrance while older herbs, seeds, and such lied on the rack of stone that reached on the back wall of the den.

        "So, what happened to your paw?" I asked, not turning around to face Amberpaw who was following me into the den. With a sigh the young apprentice said,"I stepped on a thorn, but I caught a wood pigeon!" I nodded, scanning the rack of herbs for some cobnuts or yarrow. That should be able to help her wound.

        "Alright, sit down and I'll treat your wound" I mewed, lifting my head to reach a branch of juniper berries that was in the way of the yarrow. Placing the branch down I picked up some yarrow leaves. There were a lot of them, since they were common here around our rocky camp.

        I turned to Amberpaw, she was gnawing away at the small bramble thorn on her paw. "Stop biting that or you'll make it worse!" I snapped, trotting back to her after I picked up the bundles of herbs. She lifted her head to see me, I noticed the thorn was now in her jaws as she had just tugged it out.

        I sighed, sitting down to chew the leaves into a mixture. I could hear Amberpaw wince in pain, though as I turned to view her there wasn't any sign of pain. She would be a strong warrior, I can tell. I spat out the mixture, and applied it to her paw pad. "Now, just rest here in this den until the wound heals," I urged her.

        The ginger she-cat rolled her eyes. "I'll go get you something to eat, then your on your own with that wound." I murmured, wobbling out of the camp. The crisp air of Leaf-fall was here already. The sun seemed less harsh, the rocks cooled, the leaves were falling, and herbs and prey became rarer each day.

        I trotted down the same old trail. The branch supporting my right leg ached. I'll go check that out later I guess. I wobbled to the fresh kill pile, there wasn't much. Not a lot at all really, just a mouse, two starlings, a mole, an adder, a magpie, three shrews, and a chaffinch. I picked up the three shrews, I'll save one of them for when Ravenpaw gets back here.

        Just when I was turning around to go back to the den, I smelled Ravenpaw and Bonestar. I spun around despite my nub-half-leg swiftly to glanced at the wall. The two dark cats were scaling the wall, herbs dangling from their jaws. I placed down the shrews and limped over to them, they might need some help with all those herbs.

        "Hello there Spiderpaw!" Ravenpaw muffled under the herbs. I dipped my head and purred,"Need some help with the herbs?" Bonestar answered with a shake of her head. "We got this, go back to getting prey." I flicked by black ear and took off back to the shrews. It was nice to talk to Bonestar without getting scolded at.

        Leaning down to pick up the shrews, I glanced up seeing Ravenpaw and Bonestar already at the slope where the med cat den was. I guess this leg of mine really does slow me down quiet a lot. I padded up the trail, dragging my branch leg across the varied stones that stuck up in the road.

        Peering inside the den, Ravenpaw was checking up on Amberpaw's wound and Bonestar was poking at the herbs. "Alright you two, finish up here and then meet me up at the bold stone Ravenpaw. The cats will be leaving to the gathering soon and we don't want you left behind." Bonestar mewed, and with a flick of her black tail she bounded out of the den.

        "Looks like your going to the gathering then?" I mewed, dodging Bonestar as I entered the den. "Yep! I guess you'll go next time though," he purred nuzzling me. I nodded and placed down the shrews, shuffling one over to Amberpaw. "What's this?" I asked, wincing her nose at the prey. "Its a shrew mouse-brain, eat it." Ravenpaw jeered, turning back at the young apprentice as he sat down to eat his shrew.

        "Its so tiny! How can any of you call this a meal?!" Amberpaw grumbled. I sighed, watching her toss the shrew across the den. It hit a wall and then toppled onto the ground. "You should thank Star Clan for any food your given..." I murmured shooting a glance at Amberpaw. She snorted and tucked her face into her tail as she curled up into a ball. That apprentice gets on my nerves so much I swear.

        I then sat next to Ravenpaw and started to eat my shrew. It was juicy and fresh, picky Amberpaw. I licked my paws clean, then drew them over my whiskers trying to get the remaining taste of prey. I yawned, looking at Ravenpaw. Lucky Ravenpaw, he gets to go to the gathering...

        "Ravenpaw! Ravenpaw get over here! We are leaving soon!" Bonestar sounded from outside the den. I watched as Ravenpaw rose from his eat and padded past me. "Bye Spiderpaw, I'll tell you everything that happens at the gathering!" He purred, leaping away.

        "Goodbye Ravenpaw..." I sighed watching him leave. I turned back to the other side of the den, Amberpaw was staring at me with her yellow blazing eyes full of hate. I could tell this was going to be a long day. Ravenpaw, get back here soon...