Searching

Callie POV:

Stuck in my own mind, I am reliving my worst fears. But they're not fears they're memories. In my games I killed so many people. I lured the career pack of 6 kids do their eventual deaths of drowning and hypothermia. I killed the District 7 tribute after after he had shot me in the shoulder with an arrow. I sunk a knife into his forehead. After that I couldn't kill any more, I just couldn't. I hid in a snow drift for the rest of the games. I packed snow around my body to conserve my body heat. It was so cold that I lost feeling in my arms and legs. The only thing keeping me going was Finnick. He believed I could survive. I couldn't leave him alone he was all I had left. We only had each other. We couldn't lose each other. Relief washed over me when I was announced as the winner but it didn't last long.

According to the Capitol our parents died in a boating accident during Finn's games. But they didn't. Finnick insisted that our family stay out of the public eye. I didn't understand why until he turned 16. On his 16th birthday our family was invited to President Snow's mansion for a celebration. It was there he told Finnick that he had to become a prostitute. He said no, and that's when peacekeepers shot Dad. Mom begged him to not give in to President Snow. That's when they shot her too. I remember the blood pooling around them. It was the first time I had ever seen anyone be killed because our parents and Finnick didn't let me watch the games because I wasn't old enough to be reaped yet. I remember the barrel of the gun pressed to the back of my head and Finnick crying and telling Snow he would do anything asked of him, pleading to save my life. I remember the smell of all of that blood so vividly that it makes me sick. Finnick and I just held each other and cried after that.

The memories of my 16th birthday are prominent as well. I knew this would happen and I knew Snow would have no problem killing me if I told him no. I didn't think it would happen the way it did though. Gloss dragged me into the basement of Snow's mansion as I screamed, and cried out for Finnick, or anyone to come save me. I struggled to get away from him but I just wasn't strong enough. He hit me so many times to stop my struggle, eventually knocking me out. I woke up in the middle of it. But I kept my eyes closed trying to picture myself anywhere else. I couldn't stop myself from whimpering and eventually screaming. When he was done he had avoxes dump me in the street. That's where Haymitch found me, and he brought me home. I remember Finnick crying.

These memories are playing on a constant loop in my head. Am I still alive? Where's Finnick? Did the Capital get me? Did they get Finnick? Did the plan work? Is Finnick safe?

Finnick POV:
A nurse walks into my room with a District 13 uniform in her hands for me and leaves me to change. I'm finally getting out of here and going to see Callie.

Katniss comes in and says, "I'll take you to see Callie but she doesn't look the best. She's really pale, comatose, and has a massive wound on her torso that is still healing from surgery."

"As long as I can see her breathing. I just need to see her." I choke out as Katniss gives me an apologetic look.

"She can hear me, right?" I ask her.

"The doctors think so," Katniss replies as we walk down the hall.

As we get to her room, Prim stops us outside the door and says, "I've been taking notes on her brain activity, so be very quiet when you come in. Don't speak or touch her until I give a signal, please. If her brain activity is what I predict it will be, I can say for certain that she can hear you."

"Ok, I'll follow you in" I whisper.

I take a deep breath and Katniss puts her hand on my shoulder to try and comfort me. We walk through the door as Prim opens her notes and motions for me to say something.

"Callie?" I say in a horse voice trying not to break down at the sight of her.

"She can hear you" Prim says as she gives me a hopeful smile.

I sit in the chair next to her bed as I grab her hand. "We did Cal. I'm right here. We're safe. I'm okay." I sob. "I love you Cal. We're going to be okay."

Callie's POV:

I hear multiple pairs of footsteps walk into my room. It's too quiet. I hear someone walk closer, the footsteps are too heavy to to be Any of the Everdeen's. But too light to be Haymitch. And it's not Beetee because I don't hear any wheels. I'm brought out of my thoughts when I hear a horse voice, full of emotion whisper, "Callie?"
It's Finnick.
He's okay.
He grabs my hand and I feel my mind relax at his touch. He says the plan worked. He cries. He always tries to stay so strong for me but he's crying. I think he's relieved that I'm alive but there's pain in his voice. He can't lose me and I can't lose him. I know I'm in bad shape but I'm going to fight to get back to him. I have to.