Chapter 24: A plan

Danny had absolutely no idea what to do.
He couldn't just burn the evidence and let two criminals escape. He was a detective, that was against everything he was working for. That was his only option though, whether he liked it or not. Detective Reagan was smart though and he had a plan. He always had a plan, this time though, he didn't know if it would work, he'd try it. But it might fail, and if it did, this situation could go from bad to worse.
Danny gathered up all the evidence that was supposed to be burned and headed to the Commissioner's office.
"Knock, knock" Danny said while walking through the office door
Frank Reagan: Detective Reagan.
Danny: I'm here as your son. I need you to do me a favor with no questions asked.
Frank Reagan: What's wrong?
Danny: That was a question, and I need you to take these (Danny handed all the evidence to his father) and make new copies. Put almost exactly the same details in the new copies, but get important details wrong, but make sure someone who memorized this case couldn't tell the difference.
Frank: I'm afraid I can't help you. What you're asking me to do is almost impossible and against protocol.
Danny: Is it against protocol and impossible if lives are at risk? Possibly multiple lives? And almost certainly a detective's?
Frank: What's going on Danny?
Danny: Look, are you going to help me or not? I don't have alot of time. She doesn't have alot of time. (Danny knew if the man on the phone knew that Danny had told anyone else, the man could do something Danny almost certainly wouldn't like. So he thought his father could figure it out if he'd used the pronoun she, and it hit exactly where he had hoped it would).
Frank: I would be more than happy to help, Detective.
Danny: It's important that no one else finds out about this, and that no one else finds out about what I've given to you.

Now Danny had to hold off the man that was supposed to come for the evidence