IV

I stepped outside and the chill in the air made my body temperature drop a few degrees making me wrap my uniform jacket tighter around my body. I walked straight past my bike needing to walk off my anger and before I knew it I was on the same street as the orphanage and I gulped attempting to turn around but it was too late and one of the girls saw me. She was one of the girls who thought she was better than us because she was newer to the orphanage and her parents had a lot of many before they died. 

She always shoved it in my face that I've been here since I was six and no one would ever want to adopt me, “well well well look who we have here.” I rolled my eyes, “what the hell do you want Dawn?” she cackled. “For you to just kill youself already.” I shrugged, shoving past her, calling over my shoulder, “been there done that death didn’t want me either.” it was true I first attempted to commit when I was eight years old and then again when I was twelve years old I failed both times obviously. 

The boys have kept a closer eye on when I look like I’m declining and on the verge of relapsing since then. I rounded the orphanage and climbed up onto the trash cans and propped my window open a little bit just enough that I could easily slip in and grab a few things that I needed. I grabbed one of my old duffle bags that I first got when I got onto the swim team and shoved a couple of outfits into that along with my drawing supplies, my toiletries, and a couple of makeup items. 

I heard rapid footsteps approaching my room and my eyes widened and I scrambled to get under the bed before the mistress came into my room. I clenched my eyes shut and covered my move as I heard the door slowly creak open, “I know you’re in here Kelsea I heard your heavy ass footsteps.” I watched her feet go over to the closet, “c’mon out and I won’t hurt you nearly as much.” I knew she was lying. She enjoyed seeing me in pain and I watched as her feet walked over to the semi cracked open window. 

She mumbled to herself but I couldn’t hear what she was saying. I slowly slid my phone out of my pocket careful not to make any kind of noise and I quickly clicked on Reid’s name and sent him a message, “mistress caught me sneaking in I need your help DO.NOT.TELL.THE.OTHERS.” it was going smoothly until the phone beeped signaling that the message had gone through and I mentally smacked myself for not silencing it prior. She briskly made her way over to the bed and crouched down immediately smirking when she saw me, “there you are.” 

I screamed and kicked against her as she grabbed my leg and dragged me out from beneath the bed. She kicked my stomach once she fully dragged me out from under the bed and i tried to curl up in a ball but it seemes useless, “you’re so fucking worthless why don’t you just kill yourself so that no one has to deal with your useless ass.” I learned to not make any kind of noises showing that what she was doing was causing me any kind of pain, “why can’t you be more like Dawn huh NO ONE WILL EVER LOVE YOU!” she kicked me harder.

I had to bite my lip to conceal the noise of pain that managed to escape my throat. She leaned down and grabbed a bunch of hair yanking my head back, “you’ll never be shit so do us all a favor and off yourself the world will be so much better without a waste of breath like you.” I laughed in her face, “yeah well turns out Death doesn’t want me either.” the fact that I was laughing seemed to make her furious, “YOU BRAT!” she smacked me in the face then grabbed me by the hair and began to drag me down the stairs. 

None of the other girls said anything because they knew if they did then they would be beaten alongside me, a lesson they learned from me after seeing me defend the girls as often as I could. I heard the sound of Tyler’s hummer outside and I began to laugh, “oh you are so screwed you bitch.” she lifted a brow, “oh and how is that?” I smirked and got into her face, “because someone who loves me is here and they’re going to make you pay.” The knock on the orphanage door was less than polite and more of loud bangs than knocks.

The mistress smoothed down her hair and glared at me, “don’t move a fucking muscle or I will make your life hell.” I rolled my eyes as she walked towards the door and she cracked it, “I’m sorry sir we’re not doing adoptions at this moment, maybe come back at a later time with an appointment.” She attempted to shirt the door but Reid’s gloved hand stopped it and I got up walking over, “it was nice seeing you again, maybe we should do it again sometime.” I walked to the Hummer and leaned against it holding my ribs as I bit my lip in pain.

“Are you okay?” I nodded, “yeah I’m fine.” he laid his hand on my back, “don’t lie to me Kelsea.” I sighed, “I’ve had worse nothing, a little peroxide and ice can’t fix.” I stood straight, “although I need to retrieve my phone and bag from my room really quick.” I rounded the building not waiting for his response and quickly grabbed my duffle bag and cell phone before climbing out of the room before the mistress could come back. Reid had the car started ready to go when I came back, “we need to talk about this and we need to talk about it now.”

I nodded, “let’s head to the dorms. I won’t be able to hide my face for long so might as well just rip the bandage off.” Reid looked over and brought his thumb up to my busted lip, “I wish you didn’t come back here.” I shrugged, grabbed his hand and squeezed it, “it’s okay Reid I knew the danger of coming back but I need some stuff so don’t feel too bad.” he nodded but let his thumb linger for a moment longer before pulling a U-turn and driving back towards Spencer Academy.

1120 words