VII

I stared off the edge of the cliff for about two hours lost in my head before sighing as the cold bit against my skin and slipped Reid’s hoodie back on and mounted my motorcycle, shifting it into gear before taking off in the direction of Nicky’s. I blasted music trying to clear my headspace before I would arrive at the bar. I sat outside for a few minutes internally battling if I should just leave but I remembered that I had promised Reid that I would make an appearance. I shut off then engine a deep breath before removing my helmet.

I got off the bike and started to move towards the entrance when someone cursed followed by a thump on metal and I turned to see the new transfer student hunched over a car obviously trying to fix something under the hood. “Hey it’s Chase right?” he jumped obviously not expecting someone to speak to him, “yeah you’re Kelsea right?” I nodded and motioned towards the car, “you need a hand with that?” he shook his head and returned his gaze to the engine, “no I think I can figure it out...maybe.” I chuckled and moved closer to the vehicle.

My gut was screaming for me to run but since he hadn’t given me any physical reasons to distrust him I got closer to him, “I’m a mechanic at the local car shop but if you want I can go inside and see if Pogue can come take a look instead.” his face twisted into one of disdain, “yeah we don’t get along too well by all means if you think you can figure it out go right ahead but I’ve been looking for about twenty minutes.” I gripped the small flashlight on my keychain looking for anything wrong.

I clicked my tongue as I searched but I came up blank, “I don’t see anything wrong maybe the battery is just dead so if you call a tow truck I can take a look at it in the shop tomorrow.” he hummed, “I don’t really think that’ll be necessary.” I turned to look at him but he hit me in the side of the head and I felt the warm trickle of blood drip down my temple. I began to try and scream and kick as he began to forcefully shove me towards the back of the car.

I knew my attempts were probably futile as the music was probably far too loud for anyone to hear me inside. Right as Chase began to forcefully shove me into the truck I screamed as loud I possibly manage and Chase stopped and covered his ears as his face morphed into an expression of pain. I snapped out of my awe and attempted to run but Chase had already recovered and grabbed me painfully hard, “what are you?” he looked confused and I shook my head, “what? What are you talking about Chase?” that seemed to anger him farther, “I SAID WHAT ARE YOU?” 

I was confused, “I don’t know what you’re talking about Chase I’m human.” his grip tightened, “DON’T LIE TO ME!” I heard footsteps beginning to approach the car and right as I opened my mouth to begin screaming he shoved a rag into my mouth and forcefully shoved me into the trunk before slamming the trunk shut enveloping me in darkness. I ripped the rag out of my mouth scowling before realising I still had my phone in my pocket and I scrambled to get it and quickly dialed Reid’s number.

“Hey Kels, where are you? I thought you would be here by now.” I sighed, “yeah well um I’m kinda cramped in Chase’s trunk.” he chuckled, “cute now seriously where are you, you promise you’d be here.” I smacked my head against the floor of the trunk as I dragged my hand down my face, “I’m being serious Reid I’m in the trunk of Chase’s car, listen.” I went silent so he could hear the engine running and the wheels on some kind of gravel. The noise around him dimmed as he stepped outside into one of the restrooms, “do you know where he’s taking you?” 

I shook my head, “no I have no idea he pretended to have car trouble so I offered him some help and when he first tried to shove me into the trunk I screamed and he began to to cover his ears and he had an expression of pain on his face.” Reid went silent, “Reid?” The car stopped and I hung up quickly shoving the phone into my bra as I heard the car door slam shut. Chase opened the trunk and grabbed my arm, “get out.” I fought against him as I tried to take in my surroundings. 

We seemed to be in the middle of the woods the only thing in sight being an old barn that seemed to be deteriorating. He grabbed my arm harder and dragged me out of the trunk dragging me in the direction of the old barn, “this is the original Putnam barn you know the fifth family I’m sure that you know about their little secret about how they come from a long line of witches.” I didn’t see a point of lying, “yeah I know.” he chuckled, “so why did you never sell them out?” I shook my head.

“That's not what true friends do and I see them more as brothers, they are my family and I will never betray them no matter what happens I know about what happened to you Chase and I don’t blame you for being angry.” he looked at me dumbfounded, “My family abandoned me too my mother and father willing abandoned me as a baby leaving my sister to raise me and god I’ve hated them for so fucking long it’s so easy to blame them for all the wrong in my life but I knew sooner or later I had to face facts.”

He didn’t say anything so I continued, “I lost my sister and the last thing we did was fight and the last thing I ever told my sister is that I hated her and I’ve hated myself for so long that’s something even I haven’t told the boys.” he seemed confused, “why?” I shrugged, “I don’t know I know they’d never judge me but I-” I sighed, “I don’t know.” he shook his head, “you could never understand how I feel.” I nodded, “maybe that’s true but at least all you found out is that you were adopted. I never got that you know what I got instead?” 

I lifted my shirt revealing all the bruises, “I got an abusive caretaker that hates me and beats the ever living hell out of me every single chance she gets.” he couldn’t hold back the gasp as he saw my bruises, “those boys are everything I have left and so if you kill them like I’m guessing you plan to for their power you might as well kill me too and trust me when I say that’ll be a mercy killing and you’ll be saving me the trouble of doing it myself.” he shook his head, “I need it I need more power.” 

I shook my head, “Chase hunny it’s the body that wears down not the power.” he began to angry, “NO you’re lying you have to be.” I shook my head, “I promise to you I am not.” he began to pace, “I guess Caleb, the golden boy, will be the sacrificial lamb so we can find out the truth.” he grabbed rope that was thrown to the side and I fought against him but he tied my hands behind a pole, “I don’t think the boys will be looking for you either.” he held up a folded piece of paper.

On the paper was a letter that matched my handwriting and it was a letter that I had written when I was fourteen when I planned to run away but changed my mind last minute, “no Chase.” I panicked as he walked away, “CHASE PLEASE!” I tried to escape the binding but it was pointless there was no escape. The barn door slammed behind me and silent tears began to run down my face.