XIV

My eyelids slowly began to slide shut as they felt like lead when a wave of exhaustion washed over me but I jumped, my eyes shooting opened as the door opened revealing a woman in her late twenties maybe early thirties, "my name is Charlotte and I will be your lawyer." She sat across from me and set down a briefcase pulling out a notepad from it, "all microphones and cameras have been disabled none of our conversations are going to be on record alright?" I nodded, "I'm going to ask some questions. It's important you're completely honest with me."

I nodded again, "perfect first question, do you know what you're being charged with today?" I nodded, "assault." She nodded checking a box, "good now did you strike first?" I shook my head, "no ma'am." She checked another box then looked at me, "I need you to tell me what happened don't leave anything out." I nodded and started recapping what happened, "I was at my best friend's house comforting him because he had caught his girlfriend cheating on him." She interrupted me, "what was his name?" I bit back a sigh, "Pogue Parry." She wrote that in the side column of her notepad before nodding.

"Alright go on." I shrugged, "he fell asleep and shortly after there was a knock on the door so I went to check who was there." I sighed, "it was Kate, the accuser, and she demanded that I let her see Pogue and when I denied that she tried to force her way into the apartment but I blocked her and stepped outside, closing the door behind me. I told her to go back to whoever she was fucking and she didn't like that so she accused me of being jealous and when I denied that she got pissed."

"She stepped closer to me then accused me of sleeping with him which I again denied saying he was only ever a brother figure to me and that's when she lunged at me pulling my hair. She would let go so I rammed my forearm into her face." she lifted a brow at me, "did anything occur after that." I sighed, "I got up and she said she was going to call the police so I told her to go ahead and that they have cameras then I returned inside until the police officer took me into custody." she nodded and closed her notepad.

"Well if those cameras work then that'll throw your case out and she'll be charged with interfering with an investigation or false claims." I nodded, "but sadly until we get that footage they're going to have to book you and wait for someone to bail you out." I nodded, "I understand." I offered my hand, "thank you for everything." she shook it, "don't thank me yet." she left and an officer entered the room, "let's get you fingerprinted." I let him cuff me again and lead me to the fingerprinting area. He set an ink stamp with two sheets of paper onto the counter.

"Saturate the pads of your fingers in the ink then stamped your finger to the assigned box." I sighed, doing as told, wiping the remaining ink onto my jeans then slid the papers toward him, "there you go." he added the fingerprints to a folder I hadn't even realized he'd been holding then handed it off to a different deputy, "search time." I sighed again, following him once more, "head in and wait for the nurse." He removed the cuffs and shoved me into the room closing the door behind me. I sat on the patient table thing waiting for the nurse.

"Chelsea Collins?" I nodded, "Perfect, let's get started." She closed the door behind her and asked me, "Do I have permission to remove piercings?" I looked at her, "is there a chance I could have something to keep the holes from closing?" she shook her head, "I'm afraid not, it's forbidden for safety reasons." I shrugged, "figured but thought I'd give it a shot, yes you have permission to continue with removal after all it is your job." she started with my eyebrow setting in an evidence bag then she removed my snakebites adding them to the bag as well.

She twisted my nose ring, "is this clamped shut?" I nodded, "yes ma'am." she sighed, "well I'm going to have to unclamp it." I nodded, "I understand." she grabbed a pair of pliers, "let me know I hurt you dear." I nodded and she started to twist it making me jump when a snapping noise resonated throughout the small room, "there we go." I scrunched my nose as it felt strange without the piercing, "please stand with your legs spread and your arms held out straight." I went to do as told, "oh also please remove your shoes for me."

I untied the knots and slid off my converse then stood in the position as instructed. She patted me down then wrote something down, "now they'll call your caretaker and then go from there." my breath caught, "not they can't call her, call anyone else but her." she sighed looking sympathetically, "she do that?" she motioned to my cheek. I shrugged but that told her what she needed, "I wish we didn't have to but since you're a ward of the state we're legally obligated to notify your caretaker." I let out a shaky sigh, "I'm sorry dear."

I shook my head giving her a tight lipped smile, "it's out of your control." she smiled sympathetically at me again, "put your shoes back on and then head through that door alright?" I nodded, slipping my converse back on and tightening them again. I headed through the door and was immediately handed a sign, "stand on the line facing the camera." I did as instructed trying not to flinch at the bright flashes, "now turn to your right but keep the sign pointed at the camera." I then repeated the process for my left side. I stepped to the side where I was recuffed, "your caretaker has been notified." I swallowed thickly, nodding, "this is your cell." I stepped in and the door immediately slammed behind me. I sat on the bed rubbing my face with a sigh attempting to prepare myself for the hell that was to come.