Chapter 20 ~ Reunion

I think Alice was starting to get worried about me and my state of mind. I was only answering to direct questions, I wouldn’t eat or sleep…I was catatonic again, and I knew it scared her, but I couldn’t get out of it. I kept imagining all the horrible things that could have happened. I wasn’t in my right mind without Edward. I needed him really badly right now.

The plane rides were long, but thankfully I was able to zone out enough to lie on the edge of unconsciousness and consciousness. It wasn’t all that pleasant, but I didn’t really have much of a choice. I sat in front of Esme and Alice on both planes, my suggestion, so that I could look out the window without having to worry about making them sparkle. It wasn’t like I was very good company anyways. It took a while to convince Alice, but finally she gave in, for once. If only I had that kind of power with shopping. I shivered at the thought.

“We’re almost here Bella,” Alice told me, leaning forward and whispering in my ear. I sighed in relief, but didn’t move my eyes from the window, making Alice sigh and lean back. I toned out their whispers and focused on the ground below, watching as the day grew darker until it was night again when we landed.

Being in first class had its advantages, like getting off the plane first. Of course, to Alice this seemed like the perfect time to steal a car. I stood, mouth agape as she pulled up outside of baggage claim in a 911 turbo yellow Porsche. Esme chuckled next to me, shaking her head, but getting into the front seat next to Alice. I climbed in back quickly due to Alice’s request—more like demand—to hurry.

I was scared as we grew closer to where everyone was being held, and all time seemed to stop when I saw the tower of buildings that looked like it came from the renaissance. Everything was walled in, forming its own little town in the middle of the countryside.

“Voltura,” Alice stated, zooming along the narrow road and to the entrance gate.

“Ma’am,” the tall, bulky guard beside the gate greeted with an Italian accent as we stopped. Alice smoothly handed over money, probably the fee to get in, plus some for no-nonsense trouble. He looked shocked at the wad of cash he received, but didn’t complain as he pushed the button to let us through.

“Edward knows we’re here, he’s trying to inform the others…but,” Alice paused, going into vision while driving through the curvy, narrow streets.

I tried hard not to interrupt her.

“But…” I whispered.

She sighed, seeming defeated, “Everyone is being held in a different room. They aren’t letting us talk…nothing, and since they are feeding tonight there is no way we are talking to them until tomorrow sometime.”

“Can’t you just…break down the walls?” I asked, fearing the answer.

Esme smiled sadly at me, “No, it’s part of the law of Voltura, if we do try to escape while being held; we are sentenced to death automatically. There are more than enough guards to kill us all without hesitation and trouble.”

“Ok.” I whispered, terrified.

Alice parked the car in front of what looked like a bell tower, quickly getting out. Esme and I followed suit, walking into through the closed door. Alice and Esme walked in front of me as we moved further into the black corridor. I gasped, frightened when I noticed a pale face with red eyes staring at us, waiting. As I moved closer, the shape of the person became more defined. It was a girl, bright blonde hair pulled back tight; her petite body wrapped in a black cloak, still as stone, her eyes being the only thing that moved.

“Jane, we are—“ Alice began politely, an edge to her voice.

“I know who you are. Follow me.” Jane snapped. She was the one that could inflict pain with a single look. My shaking increased, fearful of what she could do so easily to any of the Cullen’s. Alice wrapped an arm around my back from one side as Esme did the same on my other, keeping me up to pace and in-between them.