Chapter 4 ~ Completely Cliché

I surprisingly slept through the night with ease. My dreams were pointless, just constant wondering.

Around 6 AM Alice came in and woke up, dressed me and pulled me into a car, where I fell back asleep. We got to the airport in Anchorage between 7 and 8, but our flight wasn’t until 9, so Alice and Jasper took me to get breakfast. They chatted admittedly, trying to keep me awake, but I just couldn’t keep my eyes open.

Finally we boarded the plane and I could sleep. I was woken again when we had our layover, first in Seattle. It was strange, for it felt like forever since I had been here. I wanted to go see the meadow, to go check on Charlie, but we couldn’t.

“We can come back soon Bella.” Jasper told me as we took off. I smiled and nodded, not sure what to say. I didn’t fall asleep from the flight here to Chicago, just watched the little characters dance across the screen that a movie was being played on.

Chicago…where Edward grew up. He told me he didn’t remember much from his human life, but I was too afraid to ask him in chance of hurting him. I would make sure I asked him when all this mess was past us though, if it ever was. Maybe we could go there; maybe we could see his parents. The trip was quick, but the short flight to Ithaca, New York was quicker. I looked out the window of that the entire time, just thinking about nothing and everything all at once.

We landed in Tompkins Regional airport around 1 AM Eastern time. I was jet-lagged and so super tired. Alice and Rosalie practically carried me out of the airport and into a car they rented. I remember faintly looking out the windows at the city lights; they all passed in a blur as we sped towards their house, or apartments.

The drive didn’t last but a half an hour I guessed. We ended up at a house burrowed into the trees outside of town. It wasn’t as big as theirs in Washington, but it was still pretty. I didn’t get the chance to admire it, as my eyes were glued shut and I was unconscious by time we got there.

Nobody was home when I got up the next day, but there was a note left on the refrigerator saying that Esme would be home around 5,  everyone else was in or teaching a class. Esme was reconstructing and designing a house not far from here. I looked at the clock, 1 PM.

I decided to take a shower, since I smelled, then look around a bit. I went back to the room where they put me and my stuff. It was bare, like a guest room. The bathroom was across the hall, so I grabbed a towel and got in to take a very long shower. I didn’t get out until I heard the shrill ringing of the phone. I jumped out and wrapped a towel around my body as I hurried to get to it.

“Hello?” I asked, out of breath.

“Bella?” The voice on the other end asked.

“Yes, may I ask who’s speaking?”

“This is Carmen dear,” I already missed her and Kate. Irina was a little cold like Tanya. They continued to apologize for what happened as we headed out that morning, also saying that they would visit us next time.

“Listen; are either Esme or Carlisle home?” She asked, slightly frantic, slightly excited and slightly scared.

“Um, no. Esme will be back later tonight, I can have her call you then? Or I could take a message?” I wanted to hear was causing her so many emotions, but didn’t want to intrude.  no. Esme will be back later tonight, I can have her call you then? Or I could take a message?” I wanted to hear was causing her so many emotions, but didn’t want to intrude.

I heard her take a breath, “Bella, Edward is here.” I stopped breathing.

“Bella?” I heard her ask, becoming more frantic with each call. I hardly heard her. Did Tanya know he was going to be there today? Was that who she was talking to? Did he know I was with Carlisle and Esme?