Chapter 21 ~ Decisions Decisions

Blackness filled what should have been light as I opened my eyes, fear gripping my heart automatically as I took in where we were. I turned my body then to face Edward who was lying next to me. His hands stoked my hair as he curled his body around mine.

“Good morning,” he whispered close to my ear. I turned to face him, lying down on his chest.

“Is it?” I wondered aloud.

Edward hesitated in his answer, “Maybe not, but I’m just glad they allowed you to stay with me. I wouldn’t want you in a cell by yourself.” I nodded immediately, knowing for sure I would lose all sanity.

“What’s going to happen?” I asked.

He took a deep breath, squeezing my tighter to him, consciously or not I’m not sure.

“Well, they have granted us wait time until you woke up, mainly because Aro would love to keep us here for as long as possible. He thinks that while staying in his luxurious rooms, we will find Voltura attractive.

“He is summoning us now, hearing that you’ve awoken. I don’t know what he will decide yet, Alice’s visions of him are obscure right now, but he hasn’t made up his mind.”

I didn’t have time to say anything before there was a knock on the door, quickly followed by a non-permissive entrance. Felix walked into the room, eyeing us with a grin and a hungry look in his eye. Edward growled at him, turning me over so I lay behind him as he sat up, promptly taking a defensive crouch.

“Aro is ready to see you.” He thundered, smirking before swinging out of the room, leaving the heavy door open.  I touched Edward’s back, running my hand down his spine, hoping to relax him. He turned his head toward me, a pained look in his eyes. I smiled sadly at him, wishing to be able to take away his pain.

“Come, we better go before he comes back.” He whispered, kissing my cheek before pulling me up and into his side, a firm hand around my waist.

“I love you,” I told him earnestly, kissing his neck.

“As do I, love. Forever,”

The corridors were dark, making me wonder the time of day. I asked Edward as such, making him grimace.

“It’s about 10 AM here. Windows are pointless, making it seem a constant night.”

I nodded, agreeing.

“Are you scared?” He asked after walking us down a flight of stairs. I looked up at him, confused.

“Are you?” I questioned back, making him bark out a laugh.

“No.” Liar. I grinned at him, letting him know I knew he was lying. I shivered as we past the hall of guards, moving somehow closer to Edward. Tears slipped from my eyes as I remembered last night, all those people who were killed in that room.

“Bella,” Edward breathed, stopping us as we past that awful door, “Look at me,”

My breathing was out of control, my eyes clouded with tears. I blinked furiously, trying to see him standing in front of me, grasping my waist and holding most of my weight. One of his hands wiped quickly at my cheeks, brushing away the endless tears.

“Edward,” I sobbed, “So many people died Edward.”

“Oh, shh…it’s ok, your safe.” He cooed, hugging me to him.

“It’s s-so t-terrible,” I couldn’t stop, grasping his shirt and burying myself into him.

“I know love,” he breathed, burying his face in my hair.