Chapter 3: Mall bombing

(Akiri POV)

Where...

Where am I...?

My eyes slowly open. I saw that I am floating in some sort of container, submerged in some sort of liquid, a bit thicker than water. There is a mask on my face, allowing me to breathe. There were tubes coming out from every part of my body, with strange liquids flowing out. Or is it flowing in?

???: Doctor. Subject A-721 has gained consciousness. His vitals are stable

I heard a muted male voice speak out from outside.

???: Good. Put him to sleep. We'll do more testing tomorrow

A female voice replied as the sound of a machine whirring was heard and everything went black.

.
.
.

I woke up to the familiar sight of my bedroom's ceiling.

I let out a yawn as I stretched on my bed. I then got up on my feet and saw that it is already nine o'clock in the morning.

Akiri: (thoughts) What was that dream earlier...?

It felt strangely real, as if I really was there. But I had no recollection of the memory at all. It was just so bizarre.

I decided that it isn't worth the trouble to worry about it, so I just pushed that thought aside.

What should I do for the day? Now that I had completed all my homework, there is nothing more to do.

Although... There might be something after all...

I turned on the TV and went through the news channels. It didn't take long for me to find one reporting an incident. Specifically, the recent graviton bombing incidents that have been occurring in different places in Academy City.

I heavily suspected that a high-level Esper is behind it. That is why I decided to investigate this matter before it gets any worse than it is now. Shirai would probably give me an earful again, telling me not to get involved, and Yomikawa sensei would most likely give me another punishment if I was caught. But that is a small price to pay if it means stopping these bombing cases for good.

I then went on to do my usual morning routine, which consists of taking a shower and having breakfast. After that, I put on my usual clothes and went out.

(Timeskip)

The sun is out, shining brightly. The people are on their daily morning commute. The cleaning robots are doing their job, getting rid of the rubbish on the ground.

It was a couple of days since that night where I fought the third-ranked Level 5, Railgun. I haven't run into her since. Which is a good thing. Maybe she had finally got the message and decided not to bother me any further.

As I walk along the streets of Academy City, I was debating on where to go to possibly catch the culprit of the recent bombings. Considering the previous cases, the culprit tends to target public places with lots of people around, so secluded areas such as alleyways and abandoned buildings are out of the picture. But that still didn't narrow it down enough.

I think about it further, but still, couldn't think of any places that could be targeted. Even though these attacks have been happening in public places, there are barely anyone who witnesses who saw the culprit. And so, there are barely any leads or suspects, which makes solving this case a lot harder.

Maybe if I know his motive for these bombings, I could potentially narrow down the potential targets, but as I stated earlier, there is barely any leads or clues. All that is known; is that the culprit is likely to be a Level 4 or higher Esper.