Chapter 1: Level 5 Encounter

(Akiri POV)

Classes had just finished for the day and I am currently making my way towards the front gates of the school.

As I was walking, I overheard some nearby students talking about the latest news.

??? 1: Dude, have you heard about the news? Someone new had just been promoted to Level 5

??? 2: Yeah, I've heard of it. It's been all over the news lately

The truth is, on last week's System Scan, I was taken to a research facility for further testing. After going through more thorough evaluations and tests, my promotion to Level 5 was finally approved by the Academy City Board of Directors.

Yes, I am the new 8th ranked Level 5 that has been the talk of the whole city since it was announced to the public yesterday. An 8th ranked Level 5 nicknamed the Capacitor. However, that is all the news they get about me. They don't know who I am or even the slightest clue of what my abilities are.

Of course, there are no shortages of theories and speculations. But most of them are just wild guesses and thankfully, none even comes close to the truth.

As a Level 5 Esper, I am required to visit numerous different research institutes at least once a week for them to run tests on me. And of course, I get to receive the extra funding that Level 5's are given.

I had specifically requested that my identity wouldn't be widely announced and I even turned down the offer to be transferred to Nagatenjouki Academy, one of the most prestigious schools in Academy City.

It might seem weird to some people that I don't want my big achievement to be known. But I have my reasons. I didn't exactly become a Level 5 to be famous and well known to the entire population of Academy City.

I then heard someone calling my name from afar.

???: Hey, Akiri!

I turn my head towards the voice to see a familiar black spiky haired boy walking towards me. His name is Touma Kamijou, my close friend.

 His name is Touma Kamijou, my close friend