A Birthday to Remember

CHAPTER TWO

(NOTE: The writing between ** is a memory)

The next time I woke, the sun was oozing in beneath the curtains. It dragged its light towards the bed just as a buzzing alarm blared to life. Slapping a hand out, I shut it off and flipped onto my back gazing up at the ceiling. It was oddly splattered with white paint, some parts lacking so the concrete was visible beneath it.

**

"I can't re-," I groaned, straining my hand towards a particular part of the ceiling that was avoiding the paint. Leaning my body towards it, I gripped the top of the ladder hard.

"Hey I got som- what the hell are you doing?!"

There was a clattering motion beneath me and I glanced down to see a flurry of movements before she was holding the ladder steady. A pair of obsidian eyes glowered up at me from a mop of coal coloured ringlets. Whenever I complained about my hair, she would always scoff and shake her head at me, sending the tightly swirled curls bouncing.

"I told you I would do this! Seriously Lyss, are you trying to kill yourself?" She barked, waving a hand at me to get down. White paint littered her clothes and one splotch on her cheek was a sharp contrast to her onyx-like skin.

"I'm fine, Clari," I huffed but gave in to her silent demands. Scuttling down the ladder was more of an issue than I'd planned. I'd to lean back slightly to avoid banging my protruding stomach against it.

"Honestly woman." She snatched the paintbrush from my grasp and nudged me towards the only chair in the room. "Sit and rest, you're pregnant. Almost due. Don't do stupid things like that."

"I told you, I'm f-." The words cut off in a gasp as I bent to sit down. I couldn't describe the pain that bloomed in my stomach. Hunching over, my eyes squeezed shut and I gritted my teeth against it. What was happening?

**

"Labour, you idiot," I muttered to myself, pursing my lips at the memory. I'd told myself I would finish the ceiling after the boys were born, but yet I've never gotten around to it.

Pulling myself from the bed, I glanced at the calendar by my desk. A bright red circle highlighted today's date. March 22nd. Their names were scrawled onto the date, not that I needed the reminder at all.

Smiling to myself, my finger traced their names before I turned away and went to the bathroom. Pausing in the hallway, I listened for any signs of movement in their room but it was oddly still. They must be wrecked after being up so early.

Shutting the bathroom door behind me, I went about my business before standing before the mirror as I brushed my teeth. There was so much that needed to be done today. So many preparations; decorations, food, presents, costumes and the lot. It wasn't every day your children turned five and I wanted it to be memorable.

After spitting in the sink and rinsing it down the drain, I switched on the shower and stripped off. Before stepping in, I glanced in the mirror and found my fingers tracing over the light stretch marks that decorated my hips. At first, I'd hated them and detested seeing them but as the years went on I found myself not minding them. They were the result of having my sons.

Who knew a one-night stand could cause so much to happen?

The water pattered against my skin as I stepped into the shower. Its warmth slid along my body. Shutting my eyes, I relaxed into its heat. Not everything that resulted from that night was good though.

**

"You're what?!"

"Please don't yell."

"Pregnant? Pregnant! Alyssa, you are seventeen! You can't be!"