Trapped

Chapter Ten

Stupid! You stupid idiot, how could you be so foolish?!

I screamed out, vocalising the thoughts that ran through my head. Slamming my fist one last time to the door, I whirled away and grabbed the corner of the chest of drawers. It crashed to the ground, wood splintering as I grunted and kicked at it.

The curtains were next. Ripped from where they hung on the wall, they cascaded to the ground as I tore into them before smashing the window with my elbow. Glass bit into my top and sliced through, gnawing at my skin. Blood sprinkled to the ground as I cried out and I flayed about.

My foot connected with one of the bags tossed into the room before I was and It tumbled over. Toys fell out along with some framed photos and I crashed to my knees before them. I ripped apart the frame, tossing the wooden edges to the side. Reaching out, my fingers trailed along the images of my sons smiling up at me. Damon missing a tooth and Ryan with frosting on his nose.

I shivered, hairs rising as the cold slithered in from the broken window. I hiccupped, hands reaching from my lap to slap across my mouth. But the physical motion wouldn't stop what had been building.

Tears splashed to the photo. They seeped into the picture and dimly I wondered if they would reach the boys. Cascading down my cheeks, they clung to my skin as sobs tore from my lips, blasting against my fingers before they slipped out and were stolen by the breeze.

My shoulders heaved, body curving inward towards the ground. My forehead kissed the photo, and my tears were pulled to the image. My face stung from my nails as I pressed them harder against my lips to silence the agony that was manifesting within myself.

I jerked upwards, stretching my back and arching my neck as my chest expanded. I needed to breathe before I was strangled by my own tears. The wind from the window bit into my cheeks, searing the half-crescent marks I'd left on my skin.

Sometime later I found myself lying in a heap on the floor. Half of the curtain thrown over my legs and my eyes stung. Sitting up, I groaned and rubbed my head before scowling at the room.

Seriously, no one came to check on me with all that noise?

Grumbling to myself, I pulled the bags from the floor and gently laid them on the bed. The toys followed, safe from the mess before I picked up the photo stained with my tears. Gnawing on my lip I left it on the small bedside table and tried to straighten it out.

Flopping onto the bed, I inhaled deeply and fished out my phone. I paused, however, before powering it on and glowered from the broken window to the door. Jumping to my feet I darted to what I hoped was a bathroom and smiled when I proved correct.

Stepping in, I quickly went to the small shower space and turned on the water. Followed by switching on the sink. I'd seen enough kidnapping shows to know they may have bugged my room.

Switching on the phone, I quickly sat on the toilet and silenced it. It vibrated madly and I jumped in fright as miscall after miscall blared on the screen followed by messages, each one more frantic than the last.

Selecting the last call, I hit redial and pressed it to my ear as it buzzed twice before a voice screamed down the line.

"ALYSSA WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF GAME ARE YOU PLAYING?!"

Clari's voice was hoarse as if she'd been shouting for a while or crying and I winced, pulling my feet onto the toilet as I hunched over. She rambled on for a bit and I sighed silently, slightly relieved to be hearing her voice.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as she fell silent. The other end of the line was quiet as I sobbed once and swiped at my eyes. Why couldn't I stop crying?!